Talk

Advanced search

A milk donation question

(4 Posts)
Midori1999 Wed 07-Sep-11 15:56:43

I am hoping to donate milk but have just moved and so now need to get the screening done. I spoke to the co-ordinator at the nearest mill bank prior to moving and I am sure she mentioned milk collected before the screening was back could still be donated. Does this include milk I have stored in breastmilk bags in my freezer now or does it have to have been collected and stored in their bottles?

Thanks!

mamsnet Wed 07-Sep-11 16:57:57

No idea. Bumping for you.

organiccarrotcake Wed 07-Sep-11 16:58:48

Hi,

Generally milk banks accept milk in bags, although ideally it should be in bottles as the fat comes out of them better. Yes, you can donate milk from before the screening (if you're clear now, you'll have been clear then!).

Thank you for being a milk donor smile You might want to consider contacting www.ukamb.org as you're eligable to free membership smile

Midori1999 Wed 07-Sep-11 18:58:33

Brilliant, thankyou! I am getting quite a stash but my baby won't take a bottle for now, so brilliant if they can use it. At worst I thought at least pumping now would increase my supply at pumping times so I would have more mil when I could donate.

And no thanks needed. I had a DD in NICU last year and although I expressed for her myself, (and would have donated then had she lived, I had gallons of milk!) I understand why lots of women aren't able to and it is such a worthwhile and needed resource, I feel very lucky to be able to help someone/people/babies. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now