Talk

Advanced search

Is this possible?

(12 Posts)
HumptyDumpty1 Wed 07-Sep-11 14:08:49

Although I'd planned to stop bf soon due to several reasons, now that it's come to it I really don't want to!

Is it possible for her to have formula at childcare and when I'm not there and bf when I am?

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 07-Sep-11 14:11:20

Not really sure, think it might depend on the age of your LO? How old is your LO Humpty?

HumptyDumpty1 Wed 07-Sep-11 14:17:35

She's 5.5 months, 6 when she goes to childcare. I won't be away much just if I have to go to the library or have a tutorial at uni or exams etc, she's in childcare 9-2 and 2 afternoons (1-something) over the week

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 07-Sep-11 14:23:59

Think it could well be possible but you are probably best off talking to a BFC to work out a plan.

HumptyDumpty1 Wed 07-Sep-11 14:24:59

Would I need to stick to same times for formula that she'd have in childcare?

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Wed 07-Sep-11 14:27:12

does she take a bottle ok?

I would imagine that by 6m bf would be establised enough that supply and nipple confusion wouldn't be that big a risk. But someone may know differently.
Is there any way you could nip and give her a bf during your lunch or something on the long day? She might try and wait it out for the afternoon...have heard of babies doing that but not sure what age. smile

HumptyDumpty1 Wed 07-Sep-11 14:36:08

She takes a bottle fine from DP, not me though he just looks at me funny grin

She only has a slow flow teat, she gags on a medium and I have a fast let down so don't think she would ever have nipple confusion.

Can't nip on my lunch, she's only in childcare for when I'm in lectures so there's no break to drive, I'll be picking her up as soon as I've finished.

We've been trying for the past few days to switch completely but she hasn't been happy and DP works in a cocktail bar on weekend evenings and some days when he's off uni and he won't take a bottle from me, so we're thinking maybe mid morning and mid afternoon bottle and the rest bf then the timings are right for childcare.

I'd rather she didn't wait it out, I'm not a fan of getting up loads through the night for her to make her feeds up then get up for lectures grin

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 07-Sep-11 14:40:19

Sounds like a good plan to swap those two feeds. Think the recommendation is to drop one feed a week so that you reduce your risk of mastitis. If you do that, you can still do all the other feeds yourself.

Will you or have you started weaning yet too Humpty?

HumptyDumpty1 Wed 07-Sep-11 14:55:19

Thats good, thanks grin

Yep started weaning, going very well DD enjoying (most) of her food (not so much the swede!)

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Wed 07-Sep-11 14:59:57

well i'm sure if she is happy to take a bottle from others she will do so, and hopefully not wait it out. Though if she did could you cosleep and bf in bed...saves you loads of sleep ime.

Hopefully someone will come along who has specific knowledge of mixed feeding at this stage. I know many people bf when with their lo, ie at weekends, but use formula other times, but having not done it i'm not sure if, at 6m, your supply would need protection, or just adjust.

Maybe worth starting another thread asking this specificaly in the subject line?

waspandbee Wed 07-Sep-11 16:12:06

I did this with my DS. He started at a childminder two days a week at six months and happily takes formula there, while I continue to bf at home.

I had a bit of trouble with engorgement to begin with but he is now 8m and it is fine. It also means DH occasionally gives him a bottle if I go out at weekends.

HumptyDumpty1 Wed 07-Sep-11 19:49:08

Thank you wasp smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now