Talk

Advanced search

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask - but bfing and miscarriage.

(4 Posts)
Kveta Wed 07-Sep-11 13:35:23

DS is nearly 2, and still feeds morning and evening. I had a very early (5/6 weeks max) miscarriage 2 weeks ago, and DS promptly ramped up his feeding demands - he has been asking for milk all the bloody time since the day I started the mc. I cannot be in the same room as him now without him asking for milk! I'm not sure if this is some sort of response to my hormone status, noticing that mummy looks sad and taking advantage of the situation by demanding milk, or just being nearly 2.

does anyone have any experience of this? is it just his age?

organiccarrotcake Wed 07-Sep-11 13:40:30

I'm afraid I don't have any specific knowledge of this, but I wonder whether it's a mix of him feeling your sadness and wanting to be close to you, and perhaps your milk supply has changed somewhat with the change in hormones (I'm afraid I don't know which way it would be).

I'm so sorry to hear your sad news. Hopefully someone will come along with experience of mothers in this situation who can give you more guidance.

Kveta Wed 07-Sep-11 14:27:49

thanks, I'm not massively bothered by him wanting to feed so much, but a bit confused as to why he is doing it now! just wondering if anyone elese has experienced the same thing!

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Wed 07-Sep-11 14:39:00

i'm so sorry to hear about your mc kveta, sad

The rise in progesterone associated with pg can cause supply to drop and milk to change in flavour (becoming salty). I wonder if when your pregnancy ended and hormones changed the milk changed back to sweet again (this also happens each time you ovulate so is conceivable) and so your ds is enjoying it and filling up?

Of course he could be picking up that you are sad, and so seeking to comfort you by doing something he knows to be comforting iyswim)

Ps. You do know the mc wasn't caused by the bf don't you? It's an old wives take that sadly gets a lot of creedance. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now