Talk

Advanced search

7mo self weaning?

(10 Posts)
BuntyCollocks Tue 06-Sep-11 19:48:12

I'm at my wits end. My 7mo ds seems quite happy not to bf at all during the day. Very occasionally, he'll have a little feed before a nap, but he now only has two 'good' feeds a day, both when he's half-asleep (11pm dream feed, and one he wakes at 5am for).

He has a little feed when he wakes fully for the day, then baby cereal, I offer the breast throughout the day and as aforementioned, he will sometimes take a little feed before a nap, but more often than not he'll have two sucks and then want away to do something else. He also has lunch and a pudding and dinner and a pudding.

Is this a phase because he's starting to do so much more developmentally and there's so much more to focus on other than feeding? Is he self weaning?

It's been such a struggle to exclusively breastfeed, I take domperidone due to various issues (breast reduction, Tongue tie, other factors all wrecked my supply), and if this it is it, I feel totally gutted. Not sure whether to stop the medication now as I'm sure my supply can keep up with what is being asked of it.

I'm also worried he's not getting enough fluids, although he doesn't want water or juice either when they're offered.

Help sad

RitaMorgan Tue 06-Sep-11 20:02:43

Could you try dreamfeeding him during his naps? I've found it definitely goes in phases - ds was much more interested in food when he was first weaned, then got much more interested in milk again. Could try cutting out the puddings and see if that helps?

7 months is far too young to self wean as they do still need the milk for a good while yet.

EauRouge Tue 06-Sep-11 20:02:51

My DD2 is almost 7 months and is a bugger at being distracted at the moment, she's feeding all night as a result. You could try more skin-to-skin like having a bath together or feed him somewhere quiet and dark so there's nothing to distract him. It is a phase and he will get over it! So all your hard work won't have been for nothing.

That sounds like an awful lot of solid food for a 7 month old, are you trying to BF him before you offer him solids? Breastmilk should still be making up the majority of his diet at the moment.

BuntyCollocks Tue 06-Sep-11 20:11:59

Have tried dfing during naps but he just wakes up!

Will cut out puddings as of tomorrow, too. I have been following the guidelines the hv gave me on a printed sheet which says that he should be having breakfast, lunch and pudding (100g each) and dinner and pudding (100g each) : what is more realistic?

I think it is too much food, too, but have been made to feel like I was starving him: now he spends a good part of his day possetting after meals.

I have been offering boob before meals, but no interest.

The advice is so conflicting. I was always of the mindset that food is fun until one, but the sheet I have has food as the main calorie intake.

Can someone please tell me what a more realistic daily intake is?

EauRouge Tue 06-Sep-11 20:18:54

Have you read about baby led weaning? My DD2 eats very little, we give her some finger food at mealtimes and mostly she just plays with it.

RitaMorgan Tue 06-Sep-11 20:24:58

God, I never got a sheet like that - and have no idea how many grams of food ds eats!

At 7 months ds had something like;

breastfeed first thing
breakfast of 1 weetabix or half a slice of toast
breastfeed before nap
lunch of a babybel, couple of rice cakes and half a banana
breastfeed before nap
dinner of small portion of what we were having (maybe half a jar size?), pot of fromage frais/fruit pot
breastfeed before bed
bottle dreamfeed at 11pm

They are supposed to go from 100% milk at 6 months to 50/50 milk and food at 12 months, so there's no rush to eat huge amounts of food right at the beginning.

BuntyCollocks Tue 06-Sep-11 20:26:58

Eaurouge, that is what I originally wanted to do, but everyone, from my parents, his, our friends, and the hv told us he would need more, as he's not particularly interested in putting food in his mouth, but opens up like a little sparrow if anyone offers him a bite or a spoon.

God, I sound pathetic, caving to other people, but there's been such a close eye kept on his weight as he lost so much initially that I feel I have to be following what I'm told rather than what I wanted.

Is it too late to change? Won't he be hungry, having gotten used to so much food? Will my boobs rise back up to the challenge? (not dropped meds and always seem to have a lot when he wants it)

Thank you for your help thus far. Sorry for being a bit crap sad

RitaMorgan Tue 06-Sep-11 20:33:47

You don't have to go 100% to self-feeding - how about just letting him have finger foods for lunch, and spoonfeeding dinner? At that age I would spoonfeed porridge or yoghurt, and let ds eat sandwiches, roast veg, pasta shapes etc himself.

BuntyCollocks Wed 07-Sep-11 09:36:43

Rita- sounds like a plan! Thanks

BuntyCollocks Wed 07-Sep-11 16:57:03

Update: we have dropped the purees, and today he's fed a lot better. Thoroughly enjoyed his cheese sandwich at lunch, and I have pasta and yogurt for tea with some broccoli, grapes, breadsticks etc for him to try soon! He's not missed the big lunch at all, and is still a happy little soul. Thanks again, Rita and eau rouge.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now