Talk

Advanced search

Feeding from one side only per feed?

(10 Posts)
lilbitneurotic Tue 06-Sep-11 12:39:12

I was advised by midwife to feed from only one side per feed and alternate sides throughout the day. This has worked fine till now but my 5 week old is now fussing at the breast towards the end of a feed - which can last an hour-ish and I get the feeling he's looking for more than hes getting. So . . . today I tried switching him when he started fussing and he continued happily feeding on the other side! What is the correct way?

Also I've just started expressing but I was expressing from the side I wasn't currently using iyswim but if I'm going to be using both then when do I express?

Sorry for the rambling . . . hope this makes some sense.

missmehalia Tue 06-Sep-11 12:44:40

I've done both.. I think your body just produces to demand unless you're really tired/run down. However, I only did single side feeds with my 2nd baby because I was advised to do so and it seemed to work OK. Both sides definitely left me feeling very drained!

Quite how I would have managed with twins I'm not sure - that was how the MW explained it to me? i.e. that anyone with twins would only be able to feed from one side at each feed. So therefore it must be adequate. Whatever you decide to do with expressing will probably work out OK (ie producing to demand.) Check it out with a BF counsellor? I'm certainly not one!

PS I've found health visitors exceptionally sh*t when it comes to subjects like this, so canvass opinions from others as well, imho. Good luck, kids usually turn out completely fine!! I think the 'correct way' is what works for you and your child. ;-)

Cosmosis Tue 06-Sep-11 14:02:12

Did the mw give a reason for doing it that way?

Mostly it is advised to offer one side until they come off on their own, and then offer the second side to see if they are interested. Sometimes, you will need to go back to the first side again! During evening clusterfeeding sessions you just end up swapping from one side to the next all evening!

lilbitneurotic Tue 06-Sep-11 14:54:36

Thankyou both for your answers.

Cosmosis - just when I was in hospital the day I had him I went to offer him the other side and she said "No, stick to one side only per feed - that way they don't just get foremilk" which makes sense but I'm pretty sure he's getting all the milk by the time he's getting fussy.

I found last night I was just feeding from side to side all evening and was worried it would continue all night but nope every 4 hours once he went down. I take it theres no good reason not to feed this way?

Cosmosis Tue 06-Sep-11 15:00:13

if it's working for you then no need to change anything grin

GalaxyGuzzler Tue 06-Sep-11 15:05:54

I did this when I was feeding DS. I only had to do it for a short while though, and before long he was happy enough with just the one again. I put it down to a grouth sput or something that was making him extra hungry. As long as yours is having a good go on one side before wanting to swap I should carry on what you are doing if it seems to be working for you smile

missmehalia Tue 06-Sep-11 15:17:09

Definitely both mine have needed more milk at various times. Trust your instincts...

Cosmosis Tue 06-Sep-11 15:54:41

Don’t forget there is a growth spurt at around 6 weeks, so he could well just be placing his order for extra milk. Feeding patterns do change a lot especially in the early days. If you find he’s not happy with just one side, offer the other, but if he is happy after just the one side then no worries.

tiktok Tue 06-Sep-11 17:55:43

lilbitneurotic - shame you have been messed about like this. Anyone who advises one side per feed to make sure of not just getting foremilk - as the person who advised you said - is displaying serious ignorance about how bf works sad

You can read kellymom for a good explanation of why this sort of advice is bad.

RitaMorgan Tue 06-Sep-11 20:06:14

This article is really good for explaing foremilk and hindmilk.

Basically just follow your baby and you can't go wrong! If they only want one side then that's fine, but it's worth giving them the option as often they do want two and it's good for your supply. There's normally no good reason to limit a baby to one side.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now