Talk

Advanced search

Cutting down night feeds...help!

(4 Posts)
Moulesfrites Tue 06-Sep-11 10:14:21

My ds is 7.5m. A few weeks ago it got to the point where his night waking became a problem, I have always fed him to sleep but he started waking up 5/6 times a night and the only way he would settle was by feeding. I was suffering from the tiredness, so we decided to try sending dh in with water for a few nights. We saw an improvement almost instantly. Ds has always woken for a feed at about 10pm (bedtime about 6.30), so I decided to still feed him then as at least I knew he was unlikely to be hungry a couple of hours later. If he woke after that, dh settled him. He cried for about10 mins then slept til morning, managing a 9 hour stretch without a feed. I didn't really aim for full night weaning as I still think he is prob too young but just wanted to cut down the feeds a bit!

However, the past couple of nights his sleeping patterns seem to have changed completely. Rather than waking at 10 he is going til about11/12. This is actually more tiring as it I have usually gone to sleep by this point so I have to get up again! However it does mean dh and I could consider the prospect of a night out knowing he won't disturb the sitter til we get back! What I want to know is, should I still feed him at this first waking or should I get dh to settle?

Also, this Morning he woke at 5.30 which is unusual. It didn't seem worth having him cry with dh for 10 mins for an extra hours sleep, so I just fed him. I am worried though that I am sending him mixed messages by sometimes feeding him and sometimes not.

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 06-Sep-11 13:14:50

Think whatever you decide you have to stick with it.

Feeding at midnight is good as you say, you can go out and although you will be tired when you wake the hormones you produce should ensure you get back to sleep quickly.

If he is only waking at midnight and 5.30 I would be thanking my lucky stars but if you want to tackle it I would try increasing his daytime feeds and making sure he is warm enough. Is he being weaned and are you feeding him an hour before offering food and how many meals is he getting?

Kellymom has some good info on night weaning and you may also find this useful.

Moulesfrites Tue 06-Sep-11 15:16:55

I agree that 12 and 5 is great. Now that we have got to this point can I stop sending dh in? Or are we likely to regress if we do this?

He is on3 meals a day now, and still has about 4 bfs drink the day.

Thanks for the info jjj.

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 06-Sep-11 18:19:09

Don't really know Moules, if you want to nightwean I'd have a read of the links or talk to a BFC.

The only other thing you could try is 4 meals a day, still bfing an hour before though so that DS isn't cutting down on his daytime feeds.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now