Talk

Advanced search

Mastitis - do I still need to take the antibiotics?

(6 Posts)
aStarInStrangeways Tue 06-Sep-11 09:49:20

Developed mastitis on Friday (red sore lump in right breast, fluey symptoms) and saw GP yesterday, who prescribed Cephalexin. I've been feeling intermittently ill over the weekend with the flu-like stuff - aches, temperature - so was taking ibuprofen for it. This morning I've woken up feeling completely fine in that department, but the blocked duct in my breast is clearly still blocked.

So do I still need to start the anti-bs? I'd like to avoid it if possible due to the risk of developing thrush, which I'd really like to avoid. Also I am allergic to penicillin and apparently there is a 10% crossover risk with Cephalexin. I was a bit pissed off with the GP for prescribing it to me after I got home and read on Kellymom that Erythromycin is also commonly used, since I've had that many times without incident.

I've been doing lots of massage to the affected area, trying to clear the duct, and am still feeding happily from that side. It's not actually that painful to touch, just feels bruised, and there's no pain when feeding.

Thanks! smile

Paschaelina Tue 06-Sep-11 09:53:05

I would ring and ask them to prescribe erythromycin instead and then take the whole course. Mastitis is shit and I would rather treat resultant thrush than deal with the associated boob problems.

mamsnet Tue 06-Sep-11 09:53:23

You need to finish ANY course of antibiotics.

You may be feeling better and yes, they do work quickly on mastitis (been there..) but if you don't finish the course you risk building up immunity to those antibiotics. I know you're thinking there are others.. but you never know, in the case of a serious illness, for example, how many antibiotics you may have to go through. And being allergic to penicillin, you can't be reducing your options like that.

mamsnet Tue 06-Sep-11 09:54:18

Also, if you take plenty of natural yoghurt while you are taking the antibiotics you should be ok.

aStarInStrangeways Tue 06-Sep-11 09:59:24

Thanks for the quick responses. I should clarify, I haven't started taking the anti-bs yet. So will taking them help to clear the duct?

mamsnet Tue 06-Sep-11 10:02:03

If you haven't, then that's a different story. YOu might well be able to do it on your own.. you sound like you know what you're doing. Is there any BF support group/ la leche or similar that you could contact for advice?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now