Talk

Advanced search

Blocked duct? Mastitis? Help please

(8 Posts)
musttidyupmusttidyup Tue 06-Sep-11 09:18:00

sore red patch about 5cm in diameter bloody hurts. Feel achy body and headachy but no fever.
Am pumping to drain completely at the mo. Do I need anti bi do you think? Any other advice?
Thanks

gapants Tue 06-Sep-11 09:26:58

Sounds like Mastitus to me, sorry. It is horrid, so yes get an app to see your GP today and get some Antibiotics.

Try a warn flannel on your sore boob when you pump, or pump in a warm bath. Go to bed with baby, and if you can get anyone to come over and give you a hand- even better. Get them to go to the shops for you and get some nice food in to pick at. Massage as you pump to, to try and unblock it. Do you think you need a BF counsellor to come over and watch you feed? Do you think the blockage might be due to a poor latch?

If you have rosemary in the gardern you can infuse that in hot water, drain then drink as a tea, it is good for mastitus.

Also you can take paracetamol and ibuprofen together if you are in alot of pain.

Order take out for dinner.

musttidyupmusttidyup Tue 06-Sep-11 10:40:42

Have spoken to doc and got anti bi coming. Feeling fevery now too. DD is 6 months so I'm sure it's weaning issues rather than latching.
Have done hot cloths and pumping will try rosemary tea now. Thanks.

musttidyupmusttidyup Tue 06-Sep-11 19:51:09

Have taken 3 doses of anti bi still feeling pretty dreadful. The red patch on my breast has grown considerable and now covers about a quarter of my boob. am doing hot flannels and baby feeding often from that side. Anything else I should be doing. Can't still be ill tomo it's such a busy week :-(

gapants Tue 06-Sep-11 20:56:36

Oh you poor thing, IME you will be under the weather for a good few days and the really important thing with Mastitus is that you let yourself FULLY recover before you get back into your usual routine. If you dont you will probably get it again.

Call in your family/mates to pick up any additional childcare you might need- do you have other children?

Keep doing what you are doing, warm bath if you can. Also Garlic is a great natural anti biotic and chicken soup is a great immune buster.

Take it easy [[[[stern]]]

schmee Tue 06-Sep-11 23:46:15

Really take it easy. BTW how many days did the doctor give you? They tend to only give you 5 days or a week, but bf experts reckon you should have 10 to 14 days.

Hope the anti bs kick in overnight and you feel better tomorrow - but still take it easy.

musttidyupmusttidyup Wed 07-Sep-11 14:56:00

Thanks for advice. Am feeling much brighter today, no fever and fluey symptoms gone. However, boob is still v tender and about 50% angry red patch. Not lumpy tho just red and hot. Antibi are for 7 days- I assume if not fully better I'll ask for more, doc has given me 2 types that I take together though.
Have got 2 other DCs and the eldest started school this week so it's typical that it happens this week. :-(

musttidyupmusttidyup Wed 07-Sep-11 14:57:51

gapants you've got me craving lovely chicken soup. DH bloody rubbish at cooking he'd dish me up a tin of Heinz and expect me to be grateful. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now