Talk

Advanced search

For those mummies BF who eat alternative food - ie Cows Milk intollerance.

(13 Posts)
F1rstT1meMummy Tue 06-Sep-11 08:30:58

I just thought i would start a thread (upon the suggestion of Organic Carrot Cake) to gather a list of alternative food to eat for babies with food intolerances.

My almost 9 week old DD is EBF and is constantly sick, so I am about to embark on a voyage of discovery to establish what is upsetting her. Starting with milk/dairy.

For mums who have already done this and for mums who want to try cutting out some food groups, please can you suggest some alternatives.

To start (well, again, sorry to quote organicCarrotcake):

Anything with casein, skim milk powder (check labels on biscuits, crisps, breakfast cereals, anything pre-packed).

Tinned or packet soups usually have cream in, fresh pasta often has cheese in, as does pasta sauce. Even things like bread and crumpets (I love crumpets!) have milk in.

Some coatings - say onion rings or scampi have milk in. If you're eating out you need to get the restaurant to check. Consider pizza with BBQ sauce instead of tomato and no cheese and your normal topping - it's delicious!

Most packaged foods nowadays have allergy advice so avoid things which say they have milk in on the allergy list, although things which say they're made in a factory which uses milk will be ok. The "free from" aisle at your supermarket will become your best friend.

Cheers

GrannysLittlePickle Tue 06-Sep-11 08:39:31

Just wanted to say that my 10 week DD has gone from hourly forceful vomiting to occasional posset by my cutting out milk, cheese, yoghurt, but not milk chocolate (small amounts - eg on one hobnob every day), and not cutting out the hidden stuff. It seems she can tolerate small amounts so it may not be necessary to cut everything out. However goats cheese still affected her!

On one day when I tried eating cheese again, she was terrible for the next 2 days, so I'm fairly convinced it was the cows milk protein...

F1rstT1meMummy Tue 06-Sep-11 08:42:08

Thanks GrannysLittlePickle smile

RitaMorgan Tue 06-Sep-11 09:25:18

Chocolate bourbons are usually milk-free funnily enough!

HattiFattner Tue 06-Sep-11 09:33:54

firsttimemummy, if you contact customer services at the big supermarkets (certainly Tesco), they will be able to send you a list of dairy free products.

MrsVidic Tue 06-Sep-11 09:46:34

My dd just had a bad night after I had normal milk for the first time in a week! I'm trying soya milk today- it's rank on cereal thou!

Bubandbump Tue 06-Sep-11 13:07:43

Well we are off dairy, soy and wheat and she has a slight reaction to eggs too. Literally any small amount of any of them puts us through 7 days of hell with grumpy baby and hourly wake ups.

Hate to break the bad news too but some red wine is clarified with casein - my DD reacts to it. Fresh and frozen chicken from supermarkets often has dairy added to plump it and is also used in some restaurants. Most bread has dairy in. Some of our own glitches have been caused by some unsuspected ones ie. Vitamins can have soy in them and sausages have wheat in!

We have rice milk, rice flour and gluten free products and have made friends with our local butcher. It's very healthy as all the dairy substitute stuff has soy in which we can't have either! I will have the biggest cake, chocolate and bottle of red wine when we stop breastfeeding!

Bubandbump Tue 06-Sep-11 13:11:34

Oh and hellmans mayonnaise full fat has no dairy but the low fat one has cream...

I have organic rice puffs and rice milk for breakfast, salad for lunch and made from scratch evening meal with all meat from the butchers. If you are eating out, I have found burger and chips best friend..fish and chips are out as the batter often has milk in..

organiccarrotcake Tue 06-Sep-11 15:03:32

Oh yes - sometimes babies who are intolerant of CMP can also be sensitive to soya products (but it's worth a try if you like it). I prefer rice milk or oat milk anyway.

I love porridge made with rice milk with fruit on it - grapes are great, chopped nectarines, or during the winter dates are yummy. I don't give rice milk to my baby though (he's 14 months) - it's not suitable for the under 4s.

camdancer Tue 06-Sep-11 15:38:21

BubandBump when you say the chicken has dairy added to it, is that even the ones that don't say anything about it on labels? I've just bought and cooked 2 chickens from the deli counter as I'm going total elimination again. I might try if there is another thing I've messed up on. I am finding it really hard to get it completely right (and not break the bank.)

And for anyone doing the Sears total elimination - don't buy Tesco value lamb breasts as a cheap way of eating lamb. They are about 90% fat however you cook them. Bleugh.

I found that the Genius gluten free bread is actually quite nice. The Free From stuff is basically edible but very dry.

Bubandbump Tue 06-Sep-11 16:09:02

Camdancer I think they say on the labels if they have but it wasn't until I was double checking everything that I realised - I mean I expected chicken to be chicken!

Notanexcitingname Tue 06-Sep-11 20:12:28

Warburton's crumpets are dairy-free. and tesco own brand i think. My key piece of info is to check all brands. Some bourbons are OK, as are some custard creams. Fruit shortcake biscuits (McVitie's, tesco and asda checked thus far). Tesco's jaffa cakes are dairy-free, so are party rings.
Tesco and Sainsbury's will give you a list of allergens for their bread from the bakery, as a rule of thumb packet bread has soya but no dairy, bakery bread vice versa. But most baguettes are fine, Tesco granary and wholemeal, and Sainsbury's granary are all OK (dairy and soya-free).
Mr Kipling's jam tarts and apple and blackcurrant pies are dairy-free.
Co-op stuff is hopeless, even their tom ketchup has milk in (wtf?)
Best of all, block stork margerine ("perfect for pastry") in dairy free (beware, the stuff in tubs isn't), so you can bake smile.
Most cold cooked meat is OK, but careful of chorizo, and cooked chicken (ofetn butter basted).
Cream crackers are dairy-free, and so are tuc biscuits. Oh, and wraps.
Walker's S&V crisps contain milk, but McCoy's and Seabrook's don't. (careful of crisps in general)
G&B dark chocolate declares milk as an ingredient, but it is because they make it on the same factory line as their milk. DS2 is very sensitive, but I've found I can eat G&B dark without a problem, though I should add as a caveat that he is now 2.7, and breastmilk no longer a large component of his diet. But, for example I ate curry with a bit of cream in the other night , and he still reacted, despite only feeding morning and night these days.

I'm sure I shall come up with some more....

toobreathless Wed 07-Sep-11 09:37:51

Hi,

My 5 month old has CMP intolerance. Luckily she seems to be fine with soya. So I have soya milk on cereal/coffee. I hated normal soya milk- too sweet. But Alpro Soya do a 'light' one - which is fine.

I would steer well clear of rice milk, it is unsuitable for children under 4yrs, as it has quite high levels of arsenic which is secreted into breastmilk. The dietician we see actually said she wouldn't recommend rice milk to anyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now