Talk

Advanced search

Breastflow vs. Calma teat?

(8 Posts)
ThePluralOfAnecdoteIsNotData Mon 05-Sep-11 13:38:21

I have an 8 month old bf DD and will be returning to work soon. With DS1 I used Avent, with DD2 I used closer to nature but things have obviously moved on since then and I'm wondering which of the above would be best.

(I had this idea that we could go straight to a cup but that has so far just resulted in lots of wasted ebm and a wet baby! But any tips on how to go straight to cup much appreciated)

Thanks.

HumptyDumpty1 Mon 05-Sep-11 22:24:21

I found calma awful! DD takes from a cup, started with water first to get her used to the cup then little bits of milk and increased. She is still not brilliant at taking it (5mo) but getting there!

ThePluralOfAnecdoteIsNotData Mon 05-Sep-11 22:29:36

Thanks Humpty I think I'll try to keep going with a sippy cup then.

HumptyDumpty1 Tue 06-Sep-11 03:34:32

Have you tried a doidy cup? It took a while for DD to get used to it but she drinks well from it (that is if she's paying attention and not staring at other things!)

RitaMorgan Tue 06-Sep-11 20:17:32

I used the Tommee Tippee cups for milk from 10 months - like this. The Closer to Nature bottles screw into them - they are none spill but the baby barely has to suck to get the milk out. My ds really struggled with normal valved cups that are quite hard to suck from, but I couldn't stand the mess with the free flow ones!

ThePluralOfAnecdoteIsNotData Wed 07-Sep-11 07:40:11

OK so we went round the shops yesterday and bought a Tommee Tippee tip it up cup with 'lip touch' spout and some closer to nature breastmilk storage pot things which are basically small open beakers with screw on lids. (Both cup and 4 pack of beakers came to less than the price of one calma teat)

Last night we tried the tip it up and she seemed interested in it, much more than with her free flow hard spout thing. I guess she liked chewing the soft spout she did manage to drink some water from it but I think more by accident than design, but hey its a start.

I'm working up to using the open beakers today as we are staying in apart from the school run so wet tops won't be a problem. I would love them to work but as we are baby led weaning too she point blank refuses to let us spoon feed her so I'm not sure she'll go for Mummy holding the cup.

ThePluralOfAnecdoteIsNotData Wed 07-Sep-11 07:45:01

OK so we went round the shops yesterday and bought a Tommee Tippee tip it up cup with 'lip touch' spout and some closer to nature breastmilk storage pot things which are basically small open beakers with screw on lids. (Both cup and 4 pack of beakers came to less than the price of one calma teat)

Last night we tried the tip it up and she seemed interested in it, much more than with her free flow hard spout thing. I guess she liked chewing the soft spout she did manage to drink some water from it but I think more by accident than design, but hey its a start.

I'm working up to using the open beakers today as we are staying in apart from the school run so wet tops won't be a problem. I would love them to work but as we are baby led weaning too she point blank refuses to let us spoon feed her so I'm not sure she'll go for Mummy holding the cup.

ThePluralOfAnecdoteIsNotData Wed 07-Sep-11 07:52:50

Ha, so that's what happens when you click save request for later when you have a low battery, it posts twice.[Blush]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now