Talk

Advanced search

16 day old newborn sleeps from 9pm to 2am+ should I wake her for a feed?

(10 Posts)
milibear Mon 05-Sep-11 13:29:13

I am BF DD. She seems to feed A LOT during the day/early evening.
Should I leave her to wake on her own? The last couple of nights I have been waking her and BF.

iloveholidays Mon 05-Sep-11 15:12:30

If she's putting on weight, has plenty of wet and dirty nappies then I would say let her sleep.

Congratulations!

Harecare Mon 05-Sep-11 15:14:11

Never wake a sleeping baby!!! Make the most of it and don't worry.

cantmakecarrotcake Mon 05-Sep-11 15:27:54

Agree with the above. If she's gaining weight ok and producing the right nappies then enjoy it!

Feeding a lot in the early evening (cluster feeding) is kind of 'tanking-up' for nighttime, so I don't think 5 hrs is too long after all that milk. She should tell you when she's hungry.

cheekyginger Mon 05-Sep-11 15:31:46

Welcome to mummyhood,

As long as your LO isnt jaundice i would leave her to wake herself during the night. Jaundice babies need to be fed every 6 hours as they are often too sleepy to wake for a feed by themselves.

Fingers crossed you are heading for a dream baby that will stockpile in the evening and sleep through the night from a young age!!

Zimm Mon 05-Sep-11 15:45:52

DD did this 9.30pm - 3.30am from about 3 weeks. She stockpiled from 6.00pm -9.00pm to make this happen! It's fine as long as you have the nappies and weight gain. Enjoy it.

mamsnet Mon 05-Sep-11 15:52:03

Same as others have said. HAving tanked up she's probably fine.

Enjoy it until she changes her mind! wink

lilham Mon 05-Sep-11 15:53:09

Yes when my DD was jaundiced I was told to feed every 3 hour. The hospital actually rang my room phone to wake me up for feeds. Kellymom.com says about 10-12 feeds a day for a newborn. Just make sure your LO is feeding frequently during the day.

So in your case I think go by weight gain and dirty and wet nappies. But I won't shy from waking her up during the day for feeds.

RitaMorgan Mon 05-Sep-11 16:25:46

If she's feeding lots (like at least 10 times) the rest of the time then I'd let her sleep. My ds was very jaundiced and sleepy at first and I had to wake him to feed every 2 hours day and night, but once he regained his birthweight and was asking for feeds at least every 2 hours in the day, I left him to sleep as long as he wanted at night.

Jojay Mon 05-Sep-11 16:27:53

My twins were in scbu and even there they let them go 5hrs at night. Enjoy it while you can.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now