Talk

Advanced search

Winding?

(5 Posts)
Ama28 Mon 05-Sep-11 09:52:04

When do yuo stop winding a baby?

My DS is just over 5 months and we still wind him but 9 times out of 10, as soon as yousit him up - he burps.

How long is winding necessary - or this question the same as how long is a piece of string?

tiktok Mon 05-Sep-11 09:57:22

Winding is something culturally-linked, and it's something parents in the UK and elsewhere somehow believe every baby needs after every feed....but there is no physical evidence for this at all smile

Go on what you think your baby needs - and it sounds as if he is perfectly physically able to burp if and when he wants without adult assistance smile

RitaMorgan Mon 05-Sep-11 10:39:50

I never really winded ds - if he needed to burp he just would when he sat up. Still does now at 13 months!

lilham Mon 05-Sep-11 11:06:24

I never wind my DD. I remember asking a HV about this. And she said if she's not burped by 5min, she won't do it no matter how hard I try. I did the 5min thing for a week I think, but my DD always just burps whenever she wants.

She's EBF so it is possible she just have a lot less wind.

Ama28 Mon 05-Sep-11 12:23:23

Oh wow - very interesting! Thank you so much for the replies. Idid not hink it necessary anymore to wind him, maybe just a little pat but DH insists he has to. I will just play it by ear then!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now