Talk

Advanced search

Drinking water on holiday

(9 Posts)
Yesmynameis Sun 04-Sep-11 20:24:14

I wasn't too sure where to post this.

I'm going on holiday for one week next week with my 10mo DD.

Usually at home, she drinks tap water from a beaker, which I wash-up in warm soapy water but don't sterilise.

The advice where we're going is not to drink the tap water, and to drink bottled water instead. Although I know bottled water is not usually recommended for babies, I'm assuming that here it's the lesser of 2 evils. However, can anyone tell me, should I consider boiling the local tap water or using water sterilisation tablets as better alternatives to giving her bottled water?

Which brings me to washing up her beaker, should I use bottled water to wash up or would it be better to use local tap water and then sterilise the beaker before use? If so, would Microwave or Milton be better at killing any bugs from the water?

Does anyone know? I'm sure I have been worrying too much about this today... confused

Seona1973 Sun 04-Sep-11 21:09:43

I would use bottled water as a drink - use one with the lowest sodium content you can find. I would probably just wash up in tap water and not bother sterilising.

JustLea Sun 04-Sep-11 21:42:22

Hey,
Where abouts are you goin? If I was you, I wouldnt bother with tap water boiled or not..I went abroad in 2009 and I was recommended to not even brush my teeth with tap water so I used bottled water for everythin. As for givin my DS water (11 months old) I would honestly boil bottled water and use bottled water to steralise her beaker..it may sound abit much but water from different places can bo so upsettin to our stomach let alone little bellies..and its better to be safe then sorry smile x

Seona1973 Sun 04-Sep-11 21:48:02

you wont need to boil bottled water just for drinking but would need to if using it to make up formula (if you bottle feed).

organiccarrotcake Sun 04-Sep-11 21:52:30

Are you Bfing? If so you could just forget the water while you're there and up the feeds. We travelled to Africa when mine was 8 months and just kept ensuring he fed lots, and it worked really well. He certainly asked more, and fed for just a few moments other than when he wanted full feeds, so it did work well.

wigglesrock Mon 05-Sep-11 12:29:52

I've taken my children on holiday from various ages, I took 4 month old away this year, I would just wash cup as normal. Most bottled water has a picture of a baby on the side indicating lower sodium content. I have always went somewhere Spanish and just used a local water called Fontenella (sp?). I use formula, so used it for drinking and making up feeds. There is lots of info on the travel advice section re babies and water etc.

Maisieskates Mon 05-Sep-11 12:42:44

We've just come back from Portugal with 5mth old DD. She is ebf and doesn't normally drink water but I made sure I had some boiled bottled water with us at all times just in case we felt she needed it asit was really hot. I express milk for her dream feed and did all my sterilising in tap water with a Milton tablet. She was fine.

Hope you have a nice holiday.

Yesmynameis Mon 05-Sep-11 12:52:46

I bf so haven't got to worry about making up powdered milk or anything.

Organiccarrotcake, that's a very good point thankyou. I think I will approach it from that angle. I will have to keep an eye on her though, as she's not a baby who has very obvious feeding cues.

Seona1973 & Justlea, yes I think you are right that in this case the bottled water is preferable to tap water, even if it's been boiled. So I'll use bottled water where necessary, e.g. for brushing teeth etc

Yesmynameis Mon 05-Sep-11 12:59:12

Oh, somehow xposted with Wigglesrock and Maisieskates. Thankyou so much for your advice.

It's reassuring to know that as usual I'm probably overthinking things smile

Maisieskates, I'll definately be popping in some Milton tablets in my suitcase just in case, thanks.

Lol, I nearly typed 'I'll definately be popping some Milton tablets.' which I will actually try to avoid doing wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now