Talk

Advanced search

Mum of breastfed 17 months old returning to work 2days a week, how would you do it?

(11 Posts)
pacsirta Sun 04-Sep-11 15:25:23

I still breastfeed my 17 months old 4 times a day: once early morning, once 10am-ish, once mid pm and once pre-bedtime.
The first and the last feeds won't be affected by my working schedule, but the 2 middle ones will be.
This schedule works fine for both of us and I would like to continue but I worry that my breast will be messed up by 2 (consecutive) days of 2 missing feeds. (I could probably do the afternoon one just a bit later when I return home.)
So far she had to miss some morning feeds and she was fine about it, she will be busy playing with dad and is happy to drink milk/choc milk etc, and I'm even considering dropping the morning feed permanently now she is old enough...
So in a way my problem is not such a huge problem, but I am interested in clever solution or just others' experiences.

Oh, and before somebody suggests expressing: sorry but I never have done and I'm not going to start now. :-)

So any relevant experience, tips are welcome!
Thanks.

trixymalixy Sun 04-Sep-11 15:29:52

I went back to work 3 days a week when DS was 13 months. U just did the morning and evening feeds in the days I worked and sometimes one immediately we got home and fed as normal on the other days. It was absolutely fine.

rubyslippers Sun 04-Sep-11 15:29:53

Your supply will be well enough estAblished to cope

Wouldn't worry about it

She may feed more at other times but no need to express

pacsirta Sun 04-Sep-11 20:48:29

Thanks for the encouragement! :-)

festi Sun 04-Sep-11 20:52:33

it will be fine to just miss out those feeds. i went back when dd 6 months for 3 days and she wouldnt take expressed or formula, she was ok. i continued to bf fine untill well over a year.

Daisy1986 Sun 04-Sep-11 20:52:39

Wouldnt worry about it. My DD 23 months never looks for it if Im not about and has gone down to 3 feeds a day (morning, afternoon, bedtime) and 2 if were busy in the afternoon and Im fine on other days to feed her more if she needs it. At 17 months she was on 4 regular eds so your DC will probably drop some feeds soon anyway.

AngelDog Sun 04-Sep-11 21:08:22

Agree with rubyslippers.

I went back to work when DS was 11 months, although only one day a week, but he was missing 5 feeds. My pump broke & I can't hand express, but it was fine, although I was feeling pretty full by the time I got home each time! He didn't even feed more once I was home.

pearlgirl Sun 04-Sep-11 21:09:38

Just wanted to say you should be fine. My ds4 is about the same age and my work pattern has changed to 2 full days - previously I was only away from him for about 4 hours. I did 2 days last week - he had cow's milk and water in his beaker when I wasn't there and bf when I got home. It did feel a bit odd as I have been with him all summer but I know that when I am there I can bf him as normal.

messagetoyourudy Sun 04-Sep-11 21:16:05

It will be fine - your feeding pattern is established enough that you can miss/drop feeds. I fed my DS2 til he was 18 months, he used to feed 1st thing in the morning and last thing at night, I went back to work when he was 10 months and my job required me to be away overnight sometimes and it was never a problem.

I found that as it wasn't his main source of food and drink that my breasts didn't swell/leak/get sore like can happen in the early few months.

Beamur Sun 04-Sep-11 21:20:07

It will be fine (to echo the others). You'll probably find you simply carry on as normal on the days you are together and your baby, and you, will adjust to the days apart. I went back to work four (short) days a week and was mildly uncomfortable for a couple of days but quite quickly adjusted. Carried on bf for ages.

pacsirta Sun 04-Sep-11 21:39:59

Thanks for all the responses and encouragement! It is all really helpful!
Daisy 1986, what I'm interested in is also: how did your DD drop one feed? Did she just lose interest overnight? Or did you encourage it? I am trying to decide whether it is the right time to drop a feed, or shall I wait until it's obvious that she is not interested? (Might never happen... :-) Not that I want to rush it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now