Talk

Advanced search

5mths and difficultly feeding

(9 Posts)
Maisieskates Sat 03-Sep-11 21:32:32

DD is 5 months and Ebf. Lately she has started to pull when feeding - which is really !. Sometimes she'll pull off and/ or scream and punch me. It's painful and difficult for me, however I can live with that; but am concerned she isn't getting enough milk. I try and keep her on for 20mins which has always been her normal time. Swapping sides sometimes helps but not always. I'm also finding that it's taking me ages to express enough for DH to give her for her dream feed.
Has anyone else experienced this? Is my milk drying up?

Maisieskates Sat 03-Sep-11 21:34:49

Meant to say 'really painful'!

shuckleberryfinn Sat 03-Sep-11 21:37:51

It's probably not drying up. someone who really knows their stuff will hopefully be along to explain why.

she's growing up and learning how to get the milk out more efficiently, to me it sounds like she's done. Maybe let her have her head for a day or two and see what happens? My little one has over the last 2 weeks (also 5.5 month) suddenly started feeding much more quickly and going longer between feeds. She's gained more rapidly in those 2 weeks too.

Hopefully someone with a bit more experience will be along soon.

flickor Sun 04-Sep-11 23:14:32

My 10 month old DD went through phase of pulling on nipple - hurts. I used to scream ouch and this seemed to stop her. Is she teething - drooling - have you tried anbusol - that works a treat. Give la leche a call or the national breast feeding helpline as they might have some strategies.

At five months they suddenly start to feed less and can go much longer without feeds. DD suddenly seemed to change at five months into a more independent baby. Once you introduce solids (I waited till six months) the feeds drop off. Now down to evening and afternoon feeds.

Maisieskates Mon 05-Sep-11 07:23:44

Decided over the weekend to get DD weighed today and if all is well, then I'll just live with the pain and hope things improve soon for both of us. Seems it's not unusual at this age.

Also decided to stop stressing about expressing for the dream feed and to top up whatever I express with formula. DH topped up last nights feed with 2oz formula and she was fine with it. Felt weird, but am not going to beat myself up over it.

organiccarrotcake Mon 05-Sep-11 22:16:07

How did the weigh-in go? It is a common problem and it is likely to pass, annoying as it is in the meantime.

It's also not uncommon to start to find it harder to express around this time and onwards, so that's certainly not a sign you milk is drying up. You could consider trying breast compressions while expressing:

www.breastfeeding-problems.com/breast-compression.html

or expressing while she's feeding from the other breast.

But as you say, don't stress about it (that certainly won't help anyway) smile

Maisieskates Mon 05-Sep-11 22:37:05

Weigh in was ok, she's put on weight but dropped a bit below the 50th percentile for the first time. HV said this was nothing to worry about at this stage.

I managed to express 6oz this morning for the first time in ages so not stressing clearly helps smile. Thanks for tip re compressions - will try that tomorrow. In the meantime am offering both breasts at each feed so we can work out which is best for that particular feed. Am now thinking that she's teething and that is what's making is uncomfortable for her at times sad.

Am about to give her dream feed as DH has an early start tomorrow. Hopefully the bottle will be more comfortable for her.

organiccarrotcake Mon 05-Sep-11 22:43:08

Teething, yes, of course. Stupid of me not to suggest it. Does she have a teething necklace? Works well for some. Also worth trying teething powders. If you go for the type of infant teething meds which actually numb the gums don't use them just before feeding as she won't be able to feel your nipple so easily and may bite you by accident. Best using them just after feeding.

Can you see anything else in her mouth which might make her sore? No signs of thrush or anything?

Maisieskates Thu 08-Sep-11 07:52:13

No sign of anything in her mouth. Will try beads and see if they help. Have had a couple of good feeds since original post so it really seems to be something that comes and goes so am sure its teething.

Am now concerned she's constipated as she didn't poo yesterday and had several episodes where she appeared to be straining. Wondering if that's because of the formula - although she's only having 3oz max per day. Could this be the cause?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now