Talk

Advanced search

Breast pump - total novice

(7 Posts)
9DonkeysAndABoy Sat 03-Sep-11 21:13:58

Hi, I need to start expressing milk, and I have a breast pump, but I am a bit confused how to store milk! I am completely new to this, my baby is 7 days old and I have been having problems breast feeding, and I am quite depressed about it (but that's a separate thread).

I have a Medela Swing breast pump, but waiting for storage bags to arrive. In the meantime, I was wondering if anyone knows if I can keep the breast milk in the fridge in the bottle that belongs to the pump? Ie. when I express, just put that container straight into the fridge? That should work for me as I should be offering the baby top ups after each feed. Also, how do you offer the baby the expressed milk, whether in bags or a bottle? Do you take it out of the fridge and pour into the sterilised bottle and then heat up in a warm bath? Or do you heat it up in the bag and put into the sterilised bottle?

Sorry - I told you I was a novice!

thisisyesterday Sat 03-Sep-11 21:18:45

yes, you can store the milk in the bottle that attaches to the pump. I wouldn't bother faffing around with bags unless you're planning to freeze it tbh.
to warm it up either just get it out and let it warm to room temp and offer it, or if baby prefers it warmer then stand it in some hot water for a little bit

have you seen a breastfeeding counsellor at all?

Mimmee Sat 03-Sep-11 21:23:59

I have medela mini pump and put the bottles straight in the fridge as they are already sterilised. You can keep in the back of fridge for up to 5 days but sounds like you will be using the milk sooner than that.

Up to you re feeding - the medela bottles come with teats so you could feed straight from those. I have the TT bottles and pour into them as DD is used to them. If I use the bags (for the freezer) I either defrost in the fridge overnight or put the bag in warm water to defrost (depending on how organised I am!).

I then put the bottle in a jug of warm water to take the chill off.

If you have the NHS Birth to Five book loads of info on storing breastmilk.

HTH and congratulations!

Iggly Sat 03-Sep-11 21:27:26

I'd have a chat with a BF helpline - I think it might be quote early to start expressing anyway?

If you're having trouble - well it's hard in the early weeks and without anyone giving you advice, you might think things are going wrong when actually it's normal.

As for the milk - use bags if freezing (it defrost very quickly anyway). You heat milk gently by popping the milk in a bottle and stick in a bowl of warm (not too hot) water. Doesn't matter too much if you do it the other way around, just easier once in the bottle!

GlaikitFizzog Sat 03-Sep-11 21:35:58

I've been expressing for DS since week 1, he's now 17 weeks, so I know a bit about this!!

I pump into the bottles that come from with the pump, then when finished transfer the "yield" into a sterilised bottle and store it in the fridge. I store in 5 ounce "portions" as that is what DS has per feed, but you can just feep adding to the bottle for that day each time you express IYSWIM.

I just grab a bottle from the fridge at feeding time, sit it in some hot water to take the chill off, and feed!

I second only use the bags if you are freezing the milk. I would spill more milk than saved when using them. They are only for storing milk, not for feeding.

Milk is good in the fridge for 3 days and 6 months in the freezer, and also up to 6 hours out of the fridge if you are going anywhere.

PS. I use the Swing too, it's a great wee pump!

shuckleberryfinn Mon 05-Sep-11 14:52:38

If you're pumping at one feed for the next you can just leave it out at room temperature, saves you having to warm it up.

Badgerwife Mon 05-Sep-11 17:11:49

This might help!! http://www.llli.org/faq/milkstorage.html

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now