Talk

Advanced search

Question about expressing

(3 Posts)
snowchick1977 Sat 03-Sep-11 19:27:12

Hi

Just a quickie.....when i express using an electric pump how long should i do it for? I'm expressing twice a day just on the right side to make enough for one feed in the evening....i do about 20 minutes.

I get about 3oz from 3 goes sad

Also if i feed my daughter on the side i am expressing on how do long do i have to wait after a feed to pump effectively?

TIA

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 04-Sep-11 11:06:32

Snowchick I was never very good at expressing but just wondered if you had tried pumping on the opposite side to the one DD is feeding on, whilst you are feeding her.

Pashazade Mon 05-Sep-11 16:36:12

I've been told about 10-12 min per session so you don't over tire things. Try massaging the breast with downward strokes before you express as can help to get the milk flowing before you put the pump on. Not sure how long you should wait but if your dd is taking a full feed then you need to give your breast time to replenish like with a normal breast feed. My flow varies dramatically dependng on time of day for expressing too. Hope this helps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now