Talk

Advanced search

Constipation and other digestive problems!

(3 Posts)
fizzypigs Sat 03-Sep-11 15:51:11

Hi i am bf my 4wk old baby. He's gaining weight and everything with bf seems to be going well. He sometimes seems to have some problems digesting his milk. He possets quite a lot (sometimes over an hr after a feed). We've started using infacol to help with wind. I've also noticed he seems to be straining quite a bit after feeds - could this be constipation & if so can I do anything to help? He has dirty nappies so things are happening - just wish he didn't look so
uncomfortable sometimes!

ThatsNotMyBabyBelly Sat 03-Sep-11 15:55:35

If he has plenty of wet nappies he shouldn't be constipated. If his poos are very hard and pellet like chat to the hv, otherwise I wouldn't worry.

Posseting is very common and again if he is putting on weight I wouldn't worry. dd2 manages to somehow digest formula and posset water at 12 weeks - very odd!

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 03-Sep-11 17:03:40

Like ThatsNot says, if you are happy with the number of wet and dirty nappies everything should be ok.

Straining is normal as long as he's not in pain or crying. A long time between poos can also be ok, GPs won't worry until its after 2 weeks as long as the wet nappy count is ok.

If he is uncomfortable you could try massaging his tummy, a bath or no nappy time. Both of mine preferred just to have another feed and out it popped usually.

If you want to try the massage but you're not sure how, there is a video here or your local Surestart Centre might run baby massage classes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now