Talk

Advanced search

Can I use metal steamer in big pot for sterilising?

(21 Posts)
SKT27 Sat 03-Sep-11 13:35:53

Hi there, I am aiming to breastfeed, and don't want to buy a steamer steriliser [I live in a tiny flat and funds are restricted], so, I was wondering if I can just use my metal food 'fold out' steamer [ obviously cleaned first] in a pot on the stove? If so, how long would I steam the bottles for and how long would they stay sterilised for if I don't lift the lid off?

cleanandclothed Sat 03-Sep-11 13:41:19

I just used a cold water sterilising tablet in a big tub. Takes a bit longer (30 mins I think) but for occasional use was fine.

gallicgirl Sat 03-Sep-11 13:44:35

I'd probably use milton tablets for cold water sterilising. I'd worry about the bottles getting hot enough or melting if they got too hot.

It only takes 15 minutes and it's not as much faff as you'd think (buggered microwave steamer (again) on holiday and had to use milton for 2 weeks so promise it's ok)

StrikeUpTheBand Sat 03-Sep-11 13:58:03

Do you have a microwave? You can buy steriliser bags which work up to 20 times each in the microwave? Or a small microwave steriliser? Or even those mothercare bottles that sterilise on their own in the microwave?

If no microwave, then perhaps cold sterilising would be better. If you are using EBM there is the argument that in a healthy full term baby this is unnecessary, though it depends if you are freezing it first?

Hope that helps. I did have links but mucked it all up 3 times in a row so gave up!

Eglu Sat 03-Sep-11 14:28:09

Somebody came on here who did that a few weeks ago and melted everything. Either boil in a big pan of water for 5 mins, or use milton.

Or as others have said get microwave steriliser. They are not too expensive.

gallicgirl Sat 03-Sep-11 14:53:00

Nope - paid about £15 for mine (don't forget to put water in it though)

gallicgirl Sat 03-Sep-11 14:54:31

Oh, forgot to say, the advantage of cold water sterilising is, it doesn't matter what type of bottles you use whereas some steam sterilisers are shaped to fit a certain brand of bottle.

The little microwave bags are great and we used them at first when we were combined feeding. I think they're £5 for 3 or thereabouts.

mawbroon Sat 03-Sep-11 15:07:59

If you are just using the bottles for expressed milk, it's not neccessary to sterilise, a good wash in hot water is fine.

lilham Sat 03-Sep-11 15:40:23

I use the Milton tablets too. It takes 15 min and the pumps and bottles are ready immediately after. No need to rinse or cooldown. You can use whatever tub you want. Just need to buy tablets.

SKT27 Sat 03-Sep-11 18:25:41

That's fantastic, thanks very much for all the advice, shall potter off to supermarket now for Milton tablets!

seeker Sat 03-Sep-11 18:27:42

I didn't sterilise anything- and mine are still alive!

RitaMorgan Sat 03-Sep-11 18:55:58

I wouldn't bother sterilising if it's just for breastmilk. Or you can use a dishwasher if you have one.

happysmellyfeet Sat 03-Sep-11 19:01:49

We sterilized in a pan on the stove but soon stopped after dp and I fell asleep leaving the pan on and were very lucky not to have killed ourselves and dc with carbon monoxide fumes from a burnt dry saucepan. Avoid at all costs!

Catslikehats Sat 03-Sep-11 19:02:55

I've never sterilised - especially with expressed milk all bottles need is a good hot wash. Our local hospital no longer advises sterilising for BF items - even in SCBU.

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Sat 03-Sep-11 21:22:52

i was given a medela pump by the milk bank i donated to. I followed the instructions that came with it and boiled it for 5min to sterilise. You can prob get compatable boilable bottles etc. I can't imagine a bucket of milton takes up less room than a steriliser.

As others have said advice now is not to sterilise if solely for bm. It has amazing antibacterial properties, iirc one study even found e coli introduced to it and left at room temp were fewer after 24hrs, ie the bm was killing them!
You may not want to bother anyway,I didn't bar pumping for the bank.

gallicgirl Sat 03-Sep-11 21:36:19

Amazed at that info about BF. Surprised you have to throw it away after 24 hours if that's the case.

OP if you do decide you want a steam steriliser - Mothercare currently have the Philips Avent microwave one for £9.99. It's really good - provided you use Philips Avent bottles and remember to put water in it < cough >.

Good luck with the BF though and hopefully you won't need any bottles. grin

seeker Sat 03-Sep-11 21:38:15

do burnt dry saucepans give off carbon monoxide? Bloody hell, I never knew that!

pettyprudence Sat 03-Sep-11 21:50:42

gallicgirl fresh bm can last in the back of the fridge for 3-8 days, its formula you have to chuck out after 24hrs! BUT i think defrosted bm is only good for 24hrs?

gallicgirl Sat 03-Sep-11 22:00:44

Can't remember. Didn't manage BF for very long sad and there was never any hanging around the fridge for more than 24 hours anyway!

CardyMow Sat 03-Sep-11 22:39:08

Do what I do with my dc (had my first in the stone age 13 yrs ago). Get a big pan. Chuck bottles/ pump etc in. Add water - enough to cover what's in the pan. Boil for 5 mins. Sterilised bottle stuff. It really is THAT easy.

HTH.

chipmonkey Sat 03-Sep-11 23:46:14

This reminds me of when ds1 was born. I told my Mum I was getting a steam sterliser. She said "Oh don't, it'll constantly take up room on your cooker!" I was a bit hmm until it turned out that when I was born in America in 1968 a steam steriliser was basically a metal steamer that sat on the stove! All the bottles were glass though so not much chance of them melting!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now