Talk

Advanced search

Switching some bf to ff

(5 Posts)
HumptyDumpty1 Fri 02-Sep-11 20:00:52

DD is coming up to 6 months and for many reasons we are gently switching to formula, the only problem is I have no idea how much to give her.

I've read bf babies can sometimes only consume 4oz at 6 months as the calorie content changes, so do I give 4oz of formula and gently increase it to the recommended?

She has it from a cup with 3 mini meals at the moment

TIA

RitaMorgan Fri 02-Sep-11 20:24:20

If she is happy to take 4oz at a time, how about just giving 5x4oz cups, rather than 3x7oz bottles?

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 02-Sep-11 20:28:54

Do you bf on demand?

Are you planning to switch completely soon?

FWIW I bf on demand and gave cows milk (in a variety of forms) and water when I couldn't bf (relatively short periods of time), but I don't know your circumstances.

HumptyDumpty1 Sat 03-Sep-11 09:42:40

Thanks, Yep bf on demand and planning on totally switching once she has got the hang on the meal time ones.

She normally has about 6 bf in a day so will just stick to the 4oz but more often smile

RitaMorgan Sat 03-Sep-11 16:16:00

I would do that - just switch each breastfeed for a small cup. I have just done the same with my 13 month old, he was having 4 breastfeeds a day and I have just replaced 3 of them with 3-4oz of cow's milk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now