Talk

Advanced search

Switching some bf to ff

(5 Posts)
HumptyDumpty1 Fri 02-Sep-11 20:00:52

DD is coming up to 6 months and for many reasons we are gently switching to formula, the only problem is I have no idea how much to give her.

I've read bf babies can sometimes only consume 4oz at 6 months as the calorie content changes, so do I give 4oz of formula and gently increase it to the recommended?

She has it from a cup with 3 mini meals at the moment

TIA

RitaMorgan Fri 02-Sep-11 20:24:20

If she is happy to take 4oz at a time, how about just giving 5x4oz cups, rather than 3x7oz bottles?

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 02-Sep-11 20:28:54

Do you bf on demand?

Are you planning to switch completely soon?

FWIW I bf on demand and gave cows milk (in a variety of forms) and water when I couldn't bf (relatively short periods of time), but I don't know your circumstances.

HumptyDumpty1 Sat 03-Sep-11 09:42:40

Thanks, Yep bf on demand and planning on totally switching once she has got the hang on the meal time ones.

She normally has about 6 bf in a day so will just stick to the 4oz but more often smile

RitaMorgan Sat 03-Sep-11 16:16:00

I would do that - just switch each breastfeed for a small cup. I have just done the same with my 13 month old, he was having 4 breastfeeds a day and I have just replaced 3 of them with 3-4oz of cow's milk.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: