Talk

Advanced search

help me!Is there an easy way to hand express? my boobs are bright red :/

(8 Posts)
Chrononaut Fri 02-Sep-11 14:02:41

Right, so my electric pump broke sad and as Ds is 3 months old and im on a tight budget, i cannot afford to get a new one.

I want to know if there is an easy way to hand express? i can never seem to get more than an one oz at a time, where as before with my pump i could get about 5. my boobs always feel really sore after trying to hand express.

please help! i need to get some milk out so i can get some sleep sad

hiss42 Fri 02-Sep-11 14:49:56

Sorry no help from me but I'm so sore at the mo I can't face using my pump so I would also love some tips on hand expressing!

mamsnet Fri 02-Sep-11 14:54:30

If your boobs are bright red you may well already have mastitis sad in which case you will need to get yourself seen as you may need ABs.

I was never much use at hand expressing but if you check Kellymom.com I bet you'll get some good advice..

rainbowinthesky Fri 02-Sep-11 14:55:55

Years ago a mumsnetter called "mears" posted a really good link to how to hand express. You'd have to search under her name and hand expressing. I tried it but never got the hang of it. I used an Avent pump.

Chrononaut Fri 02-Sep-11 15:00:01

thankfully its not mastitis! :P they're just sore and red from all the squeezing :O
i shall search and see if i can find that link and also take a look at kellymom.

so far my hand expressing technique is probably similar to how one would milk a cow confused
cue some strange looks from DH

iskra Fri 02-Sep-11 15:06:29

Ask DH to try?!

RufflesKerfluffles Fri 02-Sep-11 15:06:31

When DS was a newborn, I found the directions in the Birth to Five book quite helpful.

crikeybadger Fri 02-Sep-11 22:00:10

This new video from the unicef babyfriendly site may be of some help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now