Talk

Advanced search

Can I night wean at 7 months?

(6 Posts)
neepsntatties Fri 02-Sep-11 04:27:35

Dd is waking every hour and I can't cope with the lack of sleep. Co-sleeping makes no difference and I can't feed lying down because of back problems. Is it too early to night wean her? Or could I half night wean and feed at 11 and 5 or would that be confusing? I don't know what to do.

EauRouge Fri 02-Sep-11 09:42:04

I found my DD1 wasn't ready until about 18 months. I don't know how you feel about things like CC/CIO but it wasn't for us so we just waited until she was older.

How often does she feed during the day? Could you try nursing more often? My DD2 is 6 mo and at the moment she is a bugger to feed during the day because she's so distracted by everything so then she's feeding all night long. I've been trying to sit somewhere quietly and just offer her the breast more often so that she can get more calories in when we're all awake.

SJisontheway Fri 02-Sep-11 09:56:25

Mine night weaned at 8 months and 9 months. No crying involved. They did it themselves really but one thing that helped was not feeding them to sleep anymore. Putting them in cot awake a shushing.

Moulesfrites Fri 02-Sep-11 10:04:22

Neeps, I am trying it and my ds is 7.5 months. He is on3 meals a day now, still has about 4 bfs a day plus his 10pm feed, but was still waking every 1/2 hours. I knew it couldn't be hunger and realized because i fed him to sleep every time he couldn't go back to sleep any other way. So, now, I still feed him at 10 but if he wakes after dh goes in to settle him and offers water. We have only done this for 3 nights and he has gone from waking 4/5 times to waking once. He cries for about 10 mins but then goes back off and sleeps til morning, and it is not cc as dh is there shushing and soothing the whole time. I suppose the real test will be whether he stops waking at all. His wakings have got later each night too, which could mean we end up with a nightmare early waking scenario?

It is hard listening to him cry, but dh is there, I think I have done plenty of night feeds so far, so if it takes a week or so of dh doing this then so be it. I was so tired from the nights that I was considering stopping bf altogether, having always wanted to continue for at least a year. Even in the 3 nights we have done it we have seen an improvement so I feel reinvigorated and excited at the thought of carrying on feeding, just not every1/2 hours at night!

As long as you have rules out teething or other discomfort, and your dh/dp is fully on board, I would give it a go!

Cosmosis Fri 02-Sep-11 10:20:49

I took the half night weaning approach first, didn’t decide to full night wean till the other week at 11.5m (after ds had slept through a few times so I knew he was capable).

I second the suggestion about getting your dp involved as it is often easier for him to settle them as they are not expecting m

Cosmosis Fri 02-Sep-11 10:21:46

ilk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now