Talk

Advanced search

teeth!

(14 Posts)
thereisalightanditnevergoesout Thu 01-Sep-11 08:14:20

I have 4 DCS, and have breastfed them all. Some have been biters and some have had teeth late and have never bitten.

I have a new thing now. DC4 (7 months) has just cut his first tooth, but as of yesterday, I can feel it rubbing when he feeds and it's pretty sore and this has been the first day.

I remember reading when DC1 was biting that you can't feel teeth while feeding because the baby's tongue should be covering any teeth.

But I can. And it hurts.

When he was checked over by the MW who did his post natal check at a few days old, she said he has a very slight tongue-tie but that it was nothing to worry about unless it stoppped him feeding well (which it hasn't). So, do you think this could be why?

Has anybody else experienced this? Is there anything I can use? Or is it just a case of grinning and bearing it?

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 01-Sep-11 08:34:03

Don't know sorry thereis, you probably know alot more than me. Have you tried feeding lying down? Know this can help with biting but not sure about rubbing. Is there a BFC local to you that you can talk to?

thereisalightanditnevergoesout Thu 01-Sep-11 08:40:33

I was feeding him in bed, lying down last night and I could feel it. I don't want to stop feeding him yet - he's only 7 months, he's my last baby and I had hoped that we'd go on a bit longer at least. I know that even when you have a biter, that phase eventually passes, but if I can feel the teeth now, I think I'm always going to feel them.

sad

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 01-Sep-11 08:49:02

Don't know then sorry thereis, think you may need a BFC.

CountBapula Thu 01-Sep-11 09:13:21

thereis I know exactly what you mean. I have the same thing with my 11 mo DS. I find that it's worse when he's just cut a new tooth. It's uncomfortable for a few days then the discomfort stops. I read somewhere (Kellymom maybe?) that their latch changes when they get teeth. I find I need to pay much more attention to latching him on - mouth open wide etc - or it gets a bit ouchy.

CountBapula Thu 01-Sep-11 09:15:18

Here you go

Cosmosis Thu 01-Sep-11 09:20:16

I get this as well, but it only seems to happen when teething or with very new teeth.

thereisalightanditnevergoesout Thu 01-Sep-11 10:31:18

Ah ha. Brilliant. Thank you. I'm just worried I'm going to end up with callouses!! Or blisters at the very least grin.

Failing that I will seek a BFC.

I just can't remember this happening with the others. Mind you, I've forgotten how painful childbirth is, so maybe that's nature's way smile

cherub59 Thu 01-Sep-11 14:49:50

I got little teeth marks from ds2. They can't actually suckle and bite at the same time so could it be positional? All I can suggest is try different positions. Lying down is what works for me!

thereisalightanditnevergoesout Sat 03-Sep-11 09:48:15

Just to let you know that things have improved. He must've worked out where to put his tongue (or I've got those callouses after all!).

Now to wait for him to discover he can bite! DS2 used to regularly draw blood.

Thank you all for your advice - I really apreciate it.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 03-Sep-11 10:09:43

So glad you are feeling much happier thereis.

thereisalightanditnevergoesout Sat 03-Sep-11 10:21:15

I am - thank you. It's times like this that I remember what a great place MN can be! smile

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 03-Sep-11 11:50:34

smile, love your name too thereis.

thereisalightanditnevergoesout Sat 03-Sep-11 21:20:41

grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: