Talk

Advanced search

Feeds becoming longer and less frequent at 7 weeks

(4 Posts)
SpannerPants Wed 31-Aug-11 21:31:28

Hi everyone,

DS is 7 weeks old tomorrow and is EBF with the aid of nipple shields (flat nipples/high palate). Gaining weight well, alert and good number of heavy wet nappies and big poos.

He went through a few days last week where he was feeding almost constantly for 48hrs which I put down to a growth spurt, but since then he's been feeding less frequently but for longer, up to 1.5hrs. He's also started taking both breasts whereas he used to fall off the breast asleep after 30mins max after just 1 breast.

I thought feeding times were meant to get shorter rather than longer, although he's gone from 10 feeds a day to 6-7 so I guess overall feeding time is similar.

Is this enough? I'm feeding on demand but should I offer the breast more frequently? I feel like I'm feeding constantly as it takes so long (along with keeping him upright for 30 mins after each feed due to reflux).

Sorry if I'm asking silly/obvious questions but I find myself worrying about every little thing and my HV seems pretty clueless about bfing sad

hazchem Wed 31-Aug-11 22:25:16

I'm not an expert and i'm hoping someone a bit more knowledgeable will come along soon but ddn't want to leave you hanging as the the evening progresses.

Firstly have a little baby is scary. not the birth but the looking after a baby but it will get easier. try not to second guess yourself but don't worry we all do it. (I'm still triple checking i have my house keys everytime i take the rubbish out for fear i lock myself out of the house with baby inside. although regularly forgetting to lock the car)

Babies do change the way they feed. keep offering on demand, watch for feeding cues. but to be honest this sounds like what your doing. I don't think my boy got faster until about 4 months. that being said we just had a 50 minutes feeding session.

If your health visitor isn't helpful useful find another one. is there a drop in clinic near you. or a breastfeeding cafe type thing. this might be more useful.

good luck it sounds to me like your doing a great job.

SpannerPants Thu 01-Sep-11 17:44:05

Thank you!

After all my worrying DS fed every 2hrs overnight... just as I get used to one pattern it all changes again!

kellieb7 Thu 01-Sep-11 20:51:31

My DD literally changed on a daily basis in regards to breastfeeding and I really didn't know if I was coming or going until she was about 4.5 months old. I would just keep doing what your doing and trust your LO (and your boobs grin )

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now