Talk

Advanced search

12 week old 0.4th centile baby wanting 3-4 hours between feeds... is this OK?

(5 Posts)
BreastmilkDoesAFabLatte Wed 31-Aug-11 20:18:40

Wondering if anyone can advise. I'm tandem feeding DD (21 mo) and DS (12 wks) and have a really good supply... I can express up to 9oz per breast.

I'm not worried about DS per se as DD was also absolutely tiny and there are some very ickle genes in the family. But I have been trying as gently as possible to feed him as often as possible to try and prevent him dropping off the charts, and until the last week or so he was feeding every 1.5-2 hrs during the day and every 2-3 hrs at night [exhausted emoticon]. For the past week or so, though, he seems to have been trying to space out feeds a bit more, to about 3-4 hrs during the day and 4-5 at night.

I'd very much rather feed in response to DS' demands than impose a regime on him. But is up to 4 hours too long a gap between daytime feeds in a baby so small?

MockingbirdsNotForSale Wed 31-Aug-11 23:07:46

I wouldn't think its an issue now he's 12 weeks. Not quite as tiny, but my DD was on the 5th centile and I tried to feed her every 2 hours like you and it was really hard to wake her and get her enthusiastic for a feed. In the end I found she was happier to have a feed every 4 hours and in the night at 12 weeks she was sleeping through (this stopped at 15 weeks but hey you can't have everything!). With feeds more spaced out she was taking on more iyswim and with more enthusiasm. Pretty quickly she jumped the centiles and on her last weigh in at 9 months she was on the 18th centile. So to answer your question no I don't think the gaps are too big if he's happy and thriving. Don't you just love tiny babies?! smile. I still feed her roughly every 3 hours in the day now and on demand at night. Sometimes she sleeps through and sometimes she's up once. She's 10 months old.

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 01-Sep-11 08:46:07

Is he bright and alert at times? Are you getting plenty of wet and dirty nappies?

Personally I would want to feed more often than that during the day, say at least every 3 hours but if you are happy with nappies etc then do what you feel is right.

You've probably seen these links before but thought they may help to reassure you. Is my older baby getting enough milk and sleepy babies.

lilham Thu 01-Sep-11 08:57:39

Is your DS still very sleepy all day? Or is he more alert now? Can you try offering the boob before he demands? Obviously I mean when he's awake, and not to rouse him from sleep to eat.

BreastmilkDoesAFabLatte Fri 02-Sep-11 17:22:52

This is all helpful. Thanks.

DS seems fine, alertness and nappy-wise. But yes, I think I need to keep offering him boobs throughout the day...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now