Talk

Advanced search

The urge to bf other babies

(31 Posts)
Booboostoo Wed 31-Aug-11 12:08:20

Bear with me, this is a bit weird, but does anyone else feel like this?

I was at the supermarket the other day and heard a baby crying...breasts produced milk immediately and I had this mad urge to seek out the baby and feed it (don't worry I didn't terrify any poor mums by snatching their babies and force feeding them, I just carried on with my shopping). Then at the weekend I was bfing next to a lady with a baby I had just met, her baby started crying and I had the same reaction while she went to get a bottle (this is not a disparaging comment regarding ff, she can feed her baby whatever she likes, it was just odd that my breasts seemed desperate to get the other baby to latch on as well as DD).

I assume it's some kind of hormonal reaction to the crying but it is weird. Please tell me other people experience it as well!

Annpan88 Wed 31-Aug-11 12:46:12

Can't say I have but everyones different. I bet I will now you've put that into my head!

WoTmania Wed 31-Aug-11 12:55:35

Not quite but I definitely used to get a let down when other babies cried and I find it really difficult when holding a baby and they are grizzling as my initial instict is to nurse them.

organiccarrotcake Wed 31-Aug-11 12:55:39

Yes, it's not uncommon.

My strongest urge was when I was in Africa earlier in the year and I was bottle feeding a seriously ill, underweight baby in an orphanage. I was absolutely desperate to nurse him. Fortunately I worked with them on the amount he was being given (they are usually housing older children, not fully milk-fed babies) and he finally started to grow. When I saw him he was about 7 Lbs at 5 months old sad sad He's a bouncing baby of nearly a year now.

I've heard other women saying the same thing although of course it's often seen as a taboo. I was a milk donor so in a sense I've fed lots of people's babies grin.

pookamoo Wed 31-Aug-11 12:59:52

My boobs used to go crazy in the supermarket when other people's babies cried. I think it happens to lots of women and it's perfectly normal.

It's definitely more your boobs telling you what to do than your brain, though!

If you have lots of milk, why don't you look into donating for a SCBU?

Booboostoo Wed 31-Aug-11 13:08:25

Glad I'm not the only one!! Although it does sound like I am a lot crazier than everyone else! Don't worry people I won't be force feeding any strange babies!

I would love to donate but I can't seem to pump a lot of milk although I have no problems with the baby suckling directly. It takes me two goes at different times of the day to get 2oz so I am usually struggling to get enough to leave the baby with OH for a couple of hours.

BaronessBomburst Wed 31-Aug-11 18:28:27

No, what's really weird is when your pet cat gets a panic on about something and starts mewing and crying and your boobs start to go all tingly and leak. blush
And for the record, no, I didn't feed the cat. grin

BreastmilkDoesAFabLatte Wed 31-Aug-11 19:58:18

I get this. About a year ago I was with a friend and her FF baby... she asked me to hold him whilse she popped to the loo, baby cried and I had really to restrain myself from offering him my boob. By the time my friend returned my top was soaked.

I'd love to become a wet nurse. Does it still exist in the UK? I doubt it...

HarrietJones Wed 31-Aug-11 20:10:35

I was at work today and a a grizzly baby set me off. I felt that he needed mummy milk. Unfortunately he wouldn't get either.

RitaMorgan Wed 31-Aug-11 20:12:01

I never got a letdown at the sound of another baby crying (or even at the sound of my baby crying really) but I do get an urge to bf upset babies!

I think it's just that my automatic response to any upset or whinging in ds was to boob him and it always worked, so it's almost a habit. When I've babysat a friend's baby and she was really fighting sleep, I just wanted to feed her instead of all the rocking a jiggling grin

redandyellowandpinkandgreen Wed 31-Aug-11 20:19:30

Yes! My friends think I'm insane. I don't get a letdown or anything but I just want to give them a cuddle and a feed. Out of my other mum friends I am the only one who feels like this, I think it freaks them out a bit. I feel sure I'd be quite happy for someone else to bf my baby too.

reddaisy Wed 31-Aug-11 20:24:29

Yes I got this too! It is just a biological urge to soothe a child. I'm pretty sure it would be frowned upon if we acted on it grin

pookamoo Wed 31-Aug-11 20:40:03

harrietjones that sounds a bit sad Why wouldnt the baby get any food? sad

Booboostoo Wed 31-Aug-11 20:43:24

I've never had the urge to feed the cat (thank God!) but I have had to tell the dog that the nipple is not a free for all!

AngelDog Wed 31-Aug-11 20:54:16

I don't get letdown, but I do get the urge to offer bf. Even with a baby who's not upset, e.g. my newborn nephew.

naturalbaby Wed 31-Aug-11 21:01:11

grin at the dog eyeing up the nipple!
i remember a teacher at school telling us a story about how this happened to her (biology lesson) and i've never really had that feeling. i have a slow let down though and the only way it gets going is by feeding.
i watched a program a couple of years ago about feeding other people's babies and looked at my friend's babies wondering if i could feed them.

TruthSweet Wed 31-Aug-11 21:10:15

I have had 3 DDs so have never bf a boy but was cuddling a friends baby boy when he started making a 'milky' noise and the thought 'I'd better give him a feed' ran through my head. I have never bf a boy so why would that run through my head??

I get the urge frequently though much to my discomfort as it is a quite compelling feeling. I have never acted on it though I hasten to add.

HarrietJones Wed 31-Aug-11 21:30:47

I meant mummy or milk. Baby was in foster care.

HarrietJones Wed 31-Aug-11 21:33:16

Not that the FC is no good. Just that baby should have (good)mummy.

shuckleberryfinn Wed 31-Aug-11 21:35:50

I feel the same, even if they are BF and mam is right there. I just want to. Maybe it's cos she's my last. But yes, I get the urge to feed other babies too.

pookamoo Wed 31-Aug-11 21:52:21

that is sad, Harriet Poor baby.

This article might interest some of you. Good for her, I say!

Here is the video.

MonkeyChicken Wed 31-Aug-11 21:57:10

My boobs would like to feed the worlds and I often get a let down reflex from other people's babies. I got a strong let down reflex once when I saw baby ducklings!!!

Booboostoo Thu 01-Sep-11 07:17:51

That's a great link thanks pookamoo! Good for Selma and I wish they had interviewed the baby's mum as well for her perspective.

I don't see why bfing other babies is a class issue, we should be past such irrational prejudices. Incidentally my mum was bfed by a surrogate bfer because she was born during the war and my gran didn't have milk. Before ff it must have been a lot more common for women to share bf.

Tortoiseonthehalfshell Thu 01-Sep-11 07:40:17

Yes, but it's always been a class issue - well, not always, but previous to formula being around, rich women farmed babies out to wet nurses. Breastfeeding seen as manual labour, and not exactly compatible with the complicated outfits worn as status symbols.

Cosmosis Thu 01-Sep-11 09:24:16

I got a let down when we had our cat put down sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now