Talk

Advanced search

Brand new breast feeder

(11 Posts)
Sargesaweyes Wed 31-Aug-11 02:29:10

Hi ladies. New over here so really sorry I am sure these threads are started all of the time but just need a bit of advice.

Gave birth yesterday and determined to bf. Have been sent home as my ds did so well at latching on etc. Although not painful as I have seen it discussed on other threads it does feel quite tender and pinchy to start. Have midwife coming tomo and am going to get all of local support in my area avaliable-just want to avoid this 'tender' feeling becoming an issue. Thanks for any words of wisdom- was very shocked by some attitudes of the hospital staff sad

TanteRose Wed 31-Aug-11 03:28:00

Congratulations on the birth of your DS smile

good idea to find out where your local BF support group (LaLeche etc.) is.

the pain/tenderness is normal - but ONLY when the baby first latches on and for a couple of minutes at most as they start to feed.
If the pain continues through the whole feed, then you need to get it looked at.

I remember having to gear myself up for the latch-on (which DID hurt, made my toes curl!) for every feed, for the first few weeks. It then got much easier and latching on did not hurt after that.

Good luck smile

BuckminsterFullerene Wed 31-Aug-11 04:16:57

Congratulations!

Tante is right, for the first few weeks the beginning of a feed can be excruciating, even if your latch is good.

Keep in touch with any BF groups/support, as problems can arise at a later date too.

Also, surrounding yourself with a new group of BFing friends will help you to continue and will make BFing out and about much easier. I've made some life long friends through my local BF group.

Good luck, enjoy your snuggly little newborn!

Loopymumsy Wed 31-Aug-11 07:27:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sargesaweyes Wed 31-Aug-11 07:49:59

Thanks everyone. Really glad of the help. Definately going to get support straight away- nipples felt a bit sore in the bath but I am guessing the whole thing being new to them must cause some discomfort. Will be worth it though as long as I can remain positive about it- so many horror stories about, you can almost think the worst will happen.

MigGril Wed 31-Aug-11 08:46:21

Loopymumsy - right you can get a toe curling seansation right at the begining of a feed to start with. But this shouldn't last through the feed and they shouldn't feel sore after feeding either. If they are then you need some help with latch.

A BF group of BT councler is the best bet for this midwifes aren't always that well trained in spotting latch problems. Get it sorted ASAP so you don't get any worse.

Sargesaweyes Wed 31-Aug-11 11:31:33

I have a feeling it maybe milk coming through as quite an odd feeling I can't describe. Not sore at all now apart from initially on latching on but quite tingley after feed-a bit like pinching but not-vague I know!

organiccarrotcake Wed 31-Aug-11 15:52:58

Congratulations OP smile

Are your nips looking pinched or squashed (maybe like a lipstick) after feeding? (A bit extended is normal). If not that's a good sign and as you're not sore it sounds pretty good.

BaronessBomburst Wed 31-Aug-11 17:43:04

Sounds like your milk coming through to me. I still get all manner of tingly sensations, and that's after 18 months! Agree with counting to 10 for the initial latch though. I had to keep that one up for a while.

Congratulations, and keep posting. smile

Sargesaweyes Thu 01-Sep-11 01:11:42

Wow, a day really is a long time in terms of breast feeding.

Midwife today was great and have been put in touch with bf support. She was pleased in that latch was good etc however one of my nipples is a bit sore due to the process of getting it right! Milk def coming in now.

Feel much more confident with regards to latch now and have cream for sore nipple. Is there anything else that I could do to help with this? Find it much harder to feed from this breast today as pain is very eye watering to start. It really isn't straight forward but felt so happy after a nice comfortable feed and seeing a wet nappy and happy baby.

Thanks for the support.Really would like to sort out these niggles before the tiredness catches up!

Graciescotland Thu 01-Sep-11 01:47:52

I think your nipples just have to through being toughened up. TMI alert - mines sort of blistered despite the lansinoh but when they old skin came off the initial latch stopped being painful, within first ten days. Midwife likened it to breaking in new shoes...

If it's any consolation I've been BF for a whole year pain free you just need to push through.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now