Talk

Advanced search

5 M.O early weaned only drinking 4 bottles - OK?

(5 Posts)
YogaMummy2B Tue 30-Aug-11 23:31:46

I have started to wean my DD early - several reasons why including reflux, she was a hungry horse & very ready for food. None of the pushing it back out with her tongue, big wide open mouth grumbling for more from the get go!
Anyway, now that we have upped the amount she gets I am a little worried about her milk intake. She is having 4 x 7 or 8 oz bottles per day. She would happily guzzle more milk but she is already a big baby and I'm concerned about over feeding her. She is about 18lbs weight and 98th centile for all measurements. Currently wearing 6 - 9 month clothes & nearly out of those!
Should she have more milk & should I try and introduce a cup with water?
Thanks.

YogaMummy2B Wed 31-Aug-11 09:03:46

Bump

narmada Wed 31-Aug-11 09:30:47

Nah, she'll be fine. DS dropped down to only 4 bottles quite early on and he wasn't even eating very much in the way of solids. 4 times 7-8 oz is loads of milk per day. She might go down to 3 bottles around the 7-8 month mark if she's eating lots.

You can use a cup with water if you want to - she might like something to drink with her meals. I guess the only thing would be to watch out that she doesn't drink so much that she displaces her need for milk.

It's great she's eating loads, and drinking, and that you managed to avoid the whole food aversion thing that often goes along with reflux. Well done you and bubs!

narmada Wed 31-Aug-11 09:32:30

Actually, I would give her as much milk as she seems to want at this stage. If she's on 98th centile she's probably just constitutionally big. What I meant was if she does only seem to want 4 bottles, then don't worry about that either - it's still plenty I reckon.

YogaMummy2B Wed 31-Aug-11 12:17:29

Thanks Narmada, she isn't crying out for more milk & sleeps through night, however I know if I gave her more she would take it. I will just keep doing what we are doing then. With perhaps a little water with her solids.
She was a big baby when born and then dropped weight and was having a few issues with aversions until we got the medication sorted. Now there is no stopping her. I think if she had still been on the breast she would have taken a bite out of me by now! wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now