Talk

Advanced search

Can you use baby gaviscon and infacol during the same feed?

(5 Posts)
NewMummy5July2011 Tue 30-Aug-11 08:23:53

hi
Think baby has reflux problems - not all the time but very noticible at some feeds (screaming, wants food but can't eat well). She also gets bad wind and infacol works well for her. Is it ok to give both at the same time (i.e. gaviscon mixed in with bottle and infacol before feeding her?)

She is FF.

Thanks

ThisIsYourSong Tue 30-Aug-11 11:24:21

Yep, its fine.

Do be careful with Gaviscon for silent reflux, its worth trying but can also make things worse so keep an eye on it. It really helps to get as much wind out of her as possible, so definitely keep using the Infacol.

NewMummy5July2011 Tue 30-Aug-11 13:51:29

Thanks - how can the infant gaviscon make things worse? Any signs to watch out for?

ThisIsYourSong Tue 30-Aug-11 21:07:12

The Gaviscon thickens the milk to help it stay in the stomach. However if it doesn't stay in the stomach it does more damage to the esophagus as it is thicker it takes longer to drain away, etc.

Just watch out for a quick worsening of the symptoms you have mentioned. Around this time it became impossible to put my DS down, he would just wake up crying every time. Its worth noting that with DS1 the doctor said I had to try Gaviscon for two weeks and also to try a thickened formula (which you are not supposed to do together). With DS3 a different doctor gave us a three day course of Gaviscon and said if it didn't work by then, it wouldn't.

Let me know if you have any other questions...

bettieblue Tue 30-Aug-11 21:15:48

I use both, I would watch with gaviscon doses though as it can make them constipated (and screaming in pain). We cut the dose down to one satchet per bottle and only use it every other feed. Our DS has reflux but doesn't have problems every feed. We also took him to a cranial osteopath, not sure if that or the gavison did the trick but hes improved a lot. We also put him on a slower teat, it takes him ages to feed but when we tried him on a faster teat he started bringing up milk again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now