Talk

Advanced search

Help with foreign milk formula

(6 Posts)
islandbaby Mon 29-Aug-11 18:16:41

Hi, I'm currently living in a Chilean territory, where they give free formula up to 2 years of age. My DS is 9mo and now exclusively ff.

I just want to post the basics of the formula's makeup to see if anyone knowledgeable can tell me if this formula is sufficient, because here the nurse has suggested I add cereal and sugar to it...

Per 100g powder:
Calories - 496
Protein - 25g
Total fat - 26g (saturated - 16.2g, monounsaturated - 8.3g, polyunsat - 1.5g, trans - 1.5g, cholestrol - 90mg)
Fibre - 0g
Carbohydrates - 40.5g (lactose - 39g)
Sodium - 370mg
Vitamins (A - 250, C - 70, D - 3, E - 0.5, B1 - 0.3, b2 - 1.2, niacin - 0.6, B6 - 0.3, folic acid - 36.7, b12 - 3.2)
Calcium - 912mg
Iron - 10mg
Phosphoric - 776mg
Magnesium - 0,5mg
zinc - 5mg
copper 0.4mg

ingredients: whole powdered milk, vitamin C (ascorbic acid), iron sulfate, zinc sulfate and copper sulfate.

Is this basically the same as the milks back home?

Thanks

tiktok Mon 29-Aug-11 18:20:50

islandbaby, I can't compare ingredients, but this does not sound like UK infant formula, because of the 'whole powdered milk' in it. Formula in the UK is based on skimmed milk powder.

Having said that, if your baby is 9 mths old and is having solids, then there is less reason to worry.

What do the instruction say on the pack? If there is nothing about sugar or cereal on the pack, then it may be the nurse has made a mistake.

islandbaby Mon 29-Aug-11 18:31:35

Oh... that's quite a difference then. The packet does say add sugar and/or cereal following health professional advice...

itsnotpossibleisit Mon 29-Aug-11 22:53:57

Islandbaby. I have not FF DD but I do know that in Spain they also advice to add cereals to the ff when they start weaning. My friend does ff and when I read the ingredients I could not believe that she was giving her DS cereals with honey at 6 months shock. They also have cereals with chocolate shock which she also used shock

It maybe something from Spanish speaking countries grin

islandbaby Tue 30-Aug-11 01:51:32

Well, I'm not keen on adding cereals or sugar, but can anyone advise me on the giving of a whole milk infant formula in place of a skimmed milk one? The whole milk formula is free (and we, alas, are poor), or I can buy an SMA/Nestle type one for £17 a tub (to last about a week and a half, which means bread and water for the rest of us!)

islandbaby Tue 30-Aug-11 16:02:43

Are there any health professionals here that can advise on this, re giving whole milk powder based formula to a 9 month old?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now