Talk

Advanced search

painful breast

(10 Posts)

Hello I have a just 1yr old and am breast feeding we do 3 feeds a day now morning, teatime and bedtime and for past 3-4 days I have had a mega painful right breast- he feeds mostly from that side (thats another story from when he was a few weeks old and has been pretty much feed exclusively from right breast with bit of left). There has been no change to his pattern of feeding we keep it the same as when he is at childminder he doesnt have option of feed.

I hadnt had a period until about 4-5wks ago when I had some very light spotting which could possibly be period not really sure.

I had an achey breast around that time too if I remember but this is much more painful.

It feels like when breast becomes very full but its not as not hard to touch and when expressing only able to express off an oz this morning (normally express 2-3 oz from right and 2oz from left for his porridge).

No redness not particualrly hot so not masitius.

Only had that one sort of period 4-5wks ago and before pregnant had a 35 day cycle and was very heavy periods so unsure if this is what pain is just achey breasts prior to period but seems strange just one side and mega painful.

any suggestions

Pang Mon 29-Aug-11 18:44:12

Best to see your Dr asap. If you are in pain go immediately don't wait because it may get worse.

Thanks think I may just do that tommorow. Paracetamol did nothing its all underneath and to the sides but not over the top and not more or less painful when feeding or pumping.

Daisy1986 Mon 29-Aug-11 20:51:59

If it is very painful and has a hardish lump then you have to massage the lump away (unbelieveably painful). LOs chin does this perfectly if you position them right or use your knuckles.

nope no lumps - had to do that in the early days and yes very very painful.

This pain is actually worse than any of that engorgement and lumpy massaging in the early days or maybe I just dont remember how bad that was.

Haggisfish Tue 30-Aug-11 00:09:21

You're not pregnant again are you?

Haggi my friend who is a health visitor just asked me the same question!!! when I had spotting 6wks ago I did a test as I had spotting when 7wk pregnant with current baby and it was negative no other pregnancy symptons.

I have a doc appointment tommorow late afternoon so will see what they.

Health visitor friends (i have 2) said they have no idea went through all the same things I had checked for. 1 said poss AF breast tenderness as can apparently get in one and the other said must be pregnant!!

not pregant did test this morning!!!

saw gp this eve and he is unsure potentially mild infection on antibiotics for 7 days then having some blood tests next week to rule out anything else.

BreastmilkDoesAFabLatte Wed 31-Aug-11 20:41:54

Are you sure you're not pregnant? I got several false negatives with DS, and my breasts were exactly as you described. Maybe it'd be worth testing again in a few days...

Thanks did a test 5wks ago and then one yesterday very def negatives (I do them on an almost daily basis in my day job so used to doing them - for others obv!)

when took breast pad out tonight it had a couple smallish green marks where nipple had rested so would indicate some kind of infection maybe mild but started the antibiotics today and see where we are in a week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now