Talk

Advanced search

How long should babies/children drink milk?

(6 Posts)
Psammead Mon 29-Aug-11 08:58:48

And how much and often?

This is a really noobie question, I know.

My DD is coming up for 20 months old. She has three small bottles of whole cow's milk per day (lunch time, bedtime and one in the very early hours of the morning). She also has water throughout the day.

I just realised that I have absolutely no idea how long she should be having milk for. Is it time to stop/cut down?

seeker Mon 29-Aug-11 09:02:19

As long as she wants it! I don't think there's a rule once they are past 12 months and eating a good varied diet.

Psammead Mon 29-Aug-11 09:09:38

Oh, Ok!!

Thanks for the answer. I get all paranoid that I am totally messing things up!

She has a good diet and drinks out of sippy cups, but still loves her milk. I was worried I was babying her or something.

[noob]

Debs75 Mon 29-Aug-11 09:13:52

DD1 is 15 and drinks milk everyday
DD2 is 3 and she hardly touches the stuff

If they like it let them drink it if they don't then offer somethign else

RitaMorgan Mon 29-Aug-11 09:49:25

12-24 months they need around 12oz a day including dairy in food - I'm not sure if there's a guideline amount after 24 months so I guess they don't need milk after that, just a good diet.

The advice to stop bottles after 12 months and move to open or hard spouted cups is for their teeth, but so long as they don't suck on them for long periods and clean teeth before bed then i think it's fine.

Psammead Mon 29-Aug-11 11:14:45

Thanks for the info!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now