Talk

Advanced search

Dropping day-time feeds... DD is now feeding more than ever at night! Help!

(6 Posts)
legallyblond Sun 28-Aug-11 14:14:58

Hi all

I guess this could have gone in sleep but I think its more a question of DD's relationship with the breast than the bed!

DD is 10.5 months and I ebf her followed by BLW at 6 months. She refused the bottle (I tried her on expressed milk from 6 weeks and kept trying until she was 5 months... at which point I gave up!) and a spoon, hence BLW! She has always been, and continues to be, a big baby (98th centile).

I am going back to work full-time in a week (yikes!!!!) and DH is going to be a stay at home dad. Because DD won't have a bottle, we've been working on dropping day-time feeds altogether ready for my return to work. She now has a bf first thing, then normal meals and snacks, and a bf last thing before bed (7pm). If I am around without DH, I will offer a bf, very readily accepted!, at about 1.30 before her afternoon nap. If DH is around though, he puts her down and she doesn't ask for it.

DD has never been a great sleeper (she bizarrely slept through from about 2-4 months, then lost it!), but we had got to her waking (and getting a bf) at: 7pm, 10pm, 1 or 2am, 5am (at which point I normally bring her into bed) and then when she wakes, between 7 and 8am. BUT..... since dropping her day-time feeds, she now wakes about every hour and a half or 2 hours!!!! More often than not, the only way to get her back to sleep is a bf.

Is this normal as a result of the (quite early I know, but needs must..) dropping day feeds? Could it be that she realises things are a-changing and needs the comfort? Or, should I actively try to nip this in the bud...? I've never done any kind of sleep training and I just assumed she'd get there in the end (in my head, I want her sleeping through by 2 years old, so I am not that demanding really!). Not really sure what to do as it feels like a bit of a step backwards and I am really feeling it in terms of my own tiredness!

Anyone been in a similar boat?

I am pretty much the only person in rl I know still bf, so no-one else to ask! HV has been telling me that she hasn't needed night-time bf from 6 months, so thats not really helpful!

legallyblond Sun 28-Aug-11 14:16:09

Oh, and last night she woke every hour.... hence my tiredness today!

legallyblond Sun 28-Aug-11 14:19:21

Sorry to keep adding to this, but DD's increased night feeding has, I think, also meant my periods, which came back at 7 months, have stopped again. Not ideal as we want to try for another baby quite soon!

Hmmm, or else I'm preg already!

Albrecht Sun 28-Aug-11 20:31:12

Firstly have you tried a sippy cup or an open cup for daytime milk?

It might well be that she is making up for lack of access to milk during the day. Just my personal view but if she is genuinely hungry I don't think sleep training is fair. And I think it is less likely to work too.

Can you offer more, say bf when you are about to leave or get in from work, after dinner etc. Is it possible for your dh to visit you at work at lunchtime for a feed? If she gets more milk in the day it might cut down on the waking. Or maybe she just misses you?

Also are you sure it is not down to teething or illness? Ds has a few crazy nights when he is about to do something momentous like walking etc. If its any of those it should be temporary, hopefully.

Oh yeah and go POAS! grin

Daisy1986 Sun 28-Aug-11 23:33:38

I cant comment an the getting her to sleep and work part as Im a SAHM. However, my DD is 2 next month and still feeds during the night. I havent sleep trained my DD I like to be child led she decided to start sleeping in her own bed at 15months which started out as 2 hrs a night and now shell be there till 4 before coming into me for a feed. However when she has been unwell/growth spurt etc there have been times when shes been attaxhed practically all night and its a nightmare

My experience is that if you arent available then she will drink from a cup etc. My dd loved her doidy cup and drinking from straws .

legallyblond Mon 29-Aug-11 16:02:07

Thanks all.

HV said it was ok to offer cows milk in a sippy cup now, even though she's under a year... tbh, I am slightly reluctant to express and up my supply now, when I feel we're on our way out the other side, if that makes sense. But maybe I should try my milk in a doidy. She's never accepted it before (she will only have water), but that could be because I have always been around before!

I do offer DD milk just before work (or will do as of next mon!) and I will get back just around bedtime, so she has as much as possible.

I don't mind her feeding more at night as such, I just wondered if its normal given the circs....

I think I'll just go with the flow... its worked so far!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: