Talk

Advanced search

Surprised by how little my mw has mentioned bf'ing

(4 Posts)
Catsu Sun 28-Aug-11 12:46:45

I am on dc3 but this is my first time bf'ing for various reasons. Dd is 5 days old now and it seems to be going well so far but I am surprised by how little anyone has mentioned it!
In hospital the mw asked how I wanted to feed baby after the delivery and I said breast so she passed baby to my chest.
From then till I left hospital nearly 24 hrs later no one asked me how the feeding was going, no mw actually saw me feed (no one happened to be in room each time I fed), no one even mentioned it!
Then have had 2 mw visits at home since coming home and neither of them asked either. They haven't even asked if I am still bf'ing dd.
I would have asked for advice obviously if I was struggling but I have been surprised that advice hasn't been offered anyway.
Perhaps because dd is my 3rd it is assumed that I am an old hand!

Albrecht Sun 28-Aug-11 20:55:37

Yeah might be they presume you know your stuff and seem to be doing fine.

Or this might be a good example of how crap the support can be. Can't believe they haven't even asked how feeding is going! What are you chatting about then?

Glad to hear its going well though smile.

Sleepglorioussleep Sun 28-Aug-11 21:46:29

My community midwife saw me feeding dd2 my third dc the day after and helped with positioning. was asked how it was going when in hospital for 24 hours even though they knew it was number three. Perhaps I looked as if I needed it grin. I did find it strange going back to new born again.

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Mon 29-Aug-11 11:41:22

cor, when i saw the thread title i thought you must still be pg (i'm 35wks and no one has mentioned feeding to me yet though i'm sure they did first time)...but post partum, that is shocking!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now