Talk

Advanced search

I have a stomach bug and can't keep anything down (or eat) would DD be better on formula for the day?

(9 Posts)
1catherine1 Sun 28-Aug-11 09:15:55

I think my DD (5 mo) had the bug first as she was rather sickly a couple of days ago and went of her food for the day. Now I have it and feel awful. She is currently weaning onto solids and has formula in her baby rice but apart from that only has my milk.

I was wondering if since I can't stomach anything today she would bet better with formula? I have some EBM I can use first but I'm also wondering if it is work expressing anything today?

TIA

pamplemousserose Sun 28-Aug-11 09:22:29

If you feed her breast milk she will get your antibodies to the bug. Go to bed and get your dp to bring her up just for feeding. You can lie down and feed if you are too weak to sit up. Make xsure you keep drinking lots of fluids. Hope you feel better soon.

winnybella Sun 28-Aug-11 09:25:20

What pamplemousse says. BM definitely much better than formula in this circumstances.

Albrecht Sun 28-Aug-11 21:11:04

Yep agree with above. As long as your are not so ill that you need a break from feeding.

You don't want to end up horribly engorged on top of the bug and feeding direct is less hassle than expressing.

If you can't keep water down, try roomtemp sugary drink.

ZhenXiang Sun 28-Aug-11 21:18:35

I would carry on feeding. I had 'flu with vomiting at same time as DD and managed to feed her every 2 hours (she only fed once a day before the bug being 20 months at the time).

It is best for your DD as she is just recovering from the bug, plus you will get very full and uncomfortable if you don't at least express. Also it could mean your supply drops and takes a while to come back up if you don't feed/express as you would normally.

Try sucking lollies if you can't keep anything down as the fluid goes in more gently so less likely to come up. You can make lollies from oral rehydration solution or juice/pureed fruit to keep up your electrolytes and give you a bit more energy.

organiccarrotcake Sun 28-Aug-11 22:12:28

Definately keep BFing provided you are well enough to cope. If you're ok with it, it's without doubt the best thing for your baby as it will help to flush out the bugs, sooth the stomach and give her fluids and food that she will absorb properly. It may be worth cutting out the solids for a few days too as it will be more gentle on her tummy just to have breastmilk. You'll not only be passing on your antibodies that you're making now, you'll have been doing this before you even got the bug but the baby rice will not help this process.

I'm not personally keen on baby rice anyway as it's a hassle for no real nutritional value. Have you considered looking at baby led weaning as another option? Baby rice is perfectly fine of course but there's easier ways of weaning smile

elphabadefiesgravity Sun 28-Aug-11 22:22:22

As long as you are up to it then breastfeeding gives her the best chance of not getting the bug. Preparing food or formula whilst you have a vomiting bug is not really ideal. I always try and avoid being the one who prepares meals for my kids if i AM ill.

baileyslover Sun 28-Aug-11 22:49:05

I had a vomiting bug when DS was EBF and it was HARD. I couldn't keep any water down, but amazingly my body produced enough milk for him and he didn't catch it. Make sure you wash your hands before feeding, but if your DD has already had it then hopefully you are past the worst. Good luck and I hope you feel better soon xx

1catherine1 Sun 28-Aug-11 22:51:02

Organic I would LOVE to do BLW and my DD would be amazing with it but unfortunately due to me returning to work and her refusing the bottle (cup/beaker etc) I've been forced to wean just to ensure she takes some calories while I'm out at work all day.

Thank you all for your replies - I did read them earlier on in the day but I was so worn out I didn't have the energy to type then. Thankfully I think it was only a 24 hour thing as I'm starting to feel better already. I took note of your advice and continued to feed her myself but had my sister look after her when she wasn't feeding from me. Am a little worried she didn't get as much nutrients from the milk as normal as the feeds seems to last over half an hour rather than 10 minutes although this could have just been her reacting to me being more distant and hands off than usual. I guess I'll find out if she wakes a lot tonight

Thank you all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now