Talk

Advanced search

Breast feeding whilst ill... Advice please.

(7 Posts)
ParkerRocks Sat 27-Aug-11 23:49:03

My DH appears to have come down with D&V bug. If it spreads through the household and I catch it, how will it effect feeding? DD is EBF. Is it ok to feed her? I know I'm worrying before it's happened but just wanted to be armed with info. Any experience with this?

BettyBum Sat 27-Aug-11 23:58:49

Same here.

Think you just carry on...

I also have mastitis. It sucks.

browneyesblue Sun 28-Aug-11 00:02:46

It is safe to breastfeed while you have D&V - it may even be beneficial to your DD as antibodies will be passed on in your milk. There is some NHS info here

On a personal level, I've bf while ill and it did drained me quite a bit. Take to your bed, if possible, and if your DH has recovered have him help as much as he can. Drink plenty of fluids, and keep food/books/remote control/phone etc close to hand.

Hopefully you won't catch it though.

IfYouSeeACrocodile Sun 28-Aug-11 00:08:52

Absolutely fine - I had a D&V bug when DD was newborn, it wasn't fun but I continued to BF her throughout having checked with MW. Agree with browneyes you will need to look after yourself and get as much support as poss if you do get it. Fingers crossed you won't.

ParkerRocks Sun 28-Aug-11 01:16:19

Thanks everyone, yes fingers crossed I don't get it, but at least if I do it's reassuring to know I can keep on feeding as normal. Honestly when he started throwing up I just wanted to cry, I seem to catch everything that's going at the moment, a cold knocks me out the best part of a week, so it's the last thing I need.

Bettybum-mastitis totally sucks, hope you feel better soon.

mynaughtylittlesister Sun 28-Aug-11 01:19:09

Friend of mine had a D&V bug, she carried on feeding - blooming hard work but worth it! Her DS never caught it - he was the only one out of 4 DC and 2 adults!

BettyBum Sun 28-Aug-11 08:02:22

Thanks Parker. Feeling quite a bit better already after only two doses of ab. I had a terrible fever and now that's gone I'm starting to feel human...

Fingers crossed you don't catch it, I have some stomach cramps so mine might be on it's way...joy!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now