Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can't get baby to take a bottle

(6 Posts)
Eglu Sat 27-Aug-11 22:02:39

So here I am with DD, 8 weeks in and bf is going great. Third time lucky as I struggled with the DSes. 4 weeks is my best previous attempt.

The problem I have now is that it would be really helpful if I could get DD to take some ebm occasionally. However she will not even entertain the teat in her mouth. DH has tried several times to get her to take a bottle and she just won't. She won't close her mouth around the teat at all, so I'm not sure if trying different bottles is going to help.

Any advice would be appreciated.

jewel2000 Sat 27-Aug-11 23:10:11

We had the same issue and It took us a good few goes as well, but it finally worked when DH held DD out in front of him rather than in the cradle hold like with BF. She seemed to notice the difference with looking face on at him if you see what I mean. We have done it every day to get her used to it and it took about 2 weeks for her to take it with no problem, but now she manages just fine. Good luck!

FerretMum Sun 28-Aug-11 09:34:05

Hey Eglu

We are having the same struggle... But I thought I'd pass on some of the tips we've been given: be persistent - try daily, pick a time when dd is calm and not too hungry, by all means try different teats and try to pick one that is similar size/shape to you, but don't chop and change too frequently as this may confuse DD. Perhaps let her play with the bottle so she is familiar with it before trying to put it in her mouth?

While DH is experimenting, you should keep out of the way so DD can't smell you, perhaps have a bath or even go for a walk...

If she still resists, don't give up all hope... You could try a cup, she would be able to lap from one at the moment, but in time you could try a doidy cup or sippy cup.

Good luck and let us know any secrets of your success!

Eglu Sun 28-Aug-11 10:14:17

Thanks, I will try some of the ideas ans see what happens.

Niccc123 Sun 28-Aug-11 18:50:36

I read somewhere that latex teats are more palatable for bf babies. I swore I wasn't going to go down the 'buying every different bottle on the market' route as i only wanted it for expressed feeds every now and again. Then I saw a bottle called 'Nuk' with a latex teat in Boots, which claimed to be the best for mixed feeding. I gave in and tried it and it worked, the teat feels a lot softer and more flexible than the Avent ones so more like a nipple I guess. Agree though that it works best if someone else offers it, when I tried he kept spitting it out and routing at my chest!

Eglu Mon 29-Aug-11 10:36:15

I just bought a Nuk bottle yesterday Niccc. I'm hoping it works. Although it is not the latex teat, but is the same funny shape. Fingers crossed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now