Talk

Advanced search

Help! My milk doesn't seem to keep?!

(6 Posts)
fraktious Fri 26-Aug-11 21:00:22

I've been expressing for a while but mostly on the day for use that day, except I go back to work proper on Monday so will be out the house for a fair stretch of time and the milk I expressed yesterday and put into the fridge now smells rank after just over 24 hours. Does my milk just not keep? Is there anything I can do about this?

I don't want DS to have formula sad

TheRealMBJ Fri 26-Aug-11 21:04:25

Does it smell fishy? It may be an excess of lipase. It can help to scald your milk after expressing and before freezing. Even though it doesn't smell very good it is fine to give to your baby though.

Good information about it here

peedieworky Fri 26-Aug-11 21:10:20

I had this problem too. Excess lipase it seems... Mine smelled like brie - yuck! I tasted it and found that although it smelled funky, it tasted fine but that really could keep it for just 2 days max. I never bothered scalding as seemed a hassle and killed off a lot of the benefits and DS took it happily despite the aroma! I found this site helpful simplyrebekah.com/excess-lipase/

fraktious Sat 27-Aug-11 16:26:28

Thank you both! That sounds exactly like what I'm experiencing. It just goes sour and rancid. Will try scalding.

Speckledy Sat 27-Aug-11 17:47:44

I didn't bother expressing for ages as I thought I had the excess lipase problem after I ended to having to throw out lots of odd-smelling and -tasting milk. It turns out I just wasn't getting the milk cold enough quickly enough. I have to put it right to the back of the fridge immediately after expressing and it keeps ok. If it's at the front of the fridge it is unusable within hours.

peedieworky Sat 27-Aug-11 18:48:14

It is very different from it being rancid or "off". Main distinction being that although it smells horrible, the taste is generally okay. What I did (bearing in mind am an obsessive type!) was leave the remnants of the bottle overnight and smell it the following morning so I know what sour milk smelled like - I didn't dare taste it! Then I tried expressing and smelling/tasting after 1 day, then 2 then 3 etc etc. Oddly, mine smelled not to bad when cold from fridge but when warmed - yuck! Cheesy vomit! But tasted normal (yes - I tasted it! All in the name of science!!). Didn't feel happy feeding DS the smelly stuff (although he took it happily - the night I noticed my cheesy milk he's already sank nearly a whole bottle!) but found if it was expressed just 1 or 2 days before, there was no stink. So it's worth checking in case it is a storage issue, as speckledy says.

I feel I've shared rather too much of my milk-tasting exploits.. blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now