Talk

Advanced search

Changing formula help please

(6 Posts)
Bogeyface Fri 26-Aug-11 00:53:27

DD has been FF from birth and is now 12 weeks old. She had what I thought was colic but now I think is just wind, she farts a hell of alot, shouting her head off for a few minutes each time. She didnt exhibit the classic screaming for hours colic symptoms her big sister had and is generally a very happy and healthy babies apart from this one issue.

So I am considering changing her brand. She is currently on SMA gold.

The thing is, when I had DS 20 years ago, and DD 14 years ago (DS FF from birth, DD BF with v v poor support for 6 weeks) it was drummed into us all that you dont change their milk unless the GP or HV tells you to! So I am bit wobbly about whether I should change or not, despite the fact that I have managed to bring up 5 others with no problems grin

I dont feel that her problems warrant a GP visit (a job in itself, appointments being kept in the cupboard with the unicorns horns and hens teeth) and our HV is useless. So should I just bite the bullet and give another brand a try?

Gillybean73 Fri 26-Aug-11 01:10:37

My DS had severe reflux problems and I had to change his formula a few times to see if any particular one was better.

In my experience, the only thing that may happen is that their nappies may be a bit looser but I'm not talking mega diahorrea, far from it, but generally it didn't really upset my DS at all doing the changeover.

To be honest though, I think that the formulas are all much of a muchness and I started with SMA Gold, and ended up just going back to that one after much buggering about with different brands/types.

You wont do her any harm by trying something else and you can always switch back so if you want to do it just go for it. You can introduce it more gradually if you're concerned and give her a bottle with half of the old brand and half of the new one mixed and if there are no ill effects, then go the whole hog.

Good luck x

Bogeyface Fri 26-Aug-11 01:14:43

THanks Gilly.

Tbh i did think that they are probably all much of a muchness but I had it drummed into me when I was a much younger mother that you must follow the rules! Mind you, considering that the rules then included giving a weaning baby (at 3 months) raw egg yolk mixed in with their baby rice to give them protein and I didnt as it didnt seem right, perhaps I should give myself more credit with my instincts!

mejon Fri 26-Aug-11 11:04:52

I changed DD2 from SMA Gold to Cow & Gate when the price of SMA shot up recently. We had no problems as far as I can remember. I think the 'check with your GP' thing is more if you are planning on changing from 'normal' infant formula to say hungry baby or some other kind rather than brand as I think they are all very much of a muchness.

RitaMorgan Fri 26-Aug-11 12:16:11

I think the formula companies just want you to think you can't change. I swapped from aptimil to sma for cost reasons, but it gave ds diaorrea so swapped again to cow and gate.

Mampig Fri 26-Aug-11 14:03:09

My cousin had this prob with her ds and she put him on an easy digest milk- amnio comfort I think- she said the change was like flicking a switch and he was souch more settled after and between feeds! Hth! Ps I think I have name of formula wrong but it sounds like that!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now