Talk

Advanced search

The most reluctant breast feeder

(9 Posts)
MoreBoober Thu 25-Aug-11 19:26:04

Help my EBF DS is such a reluctant feeder it's really worrying me. He's now 8 months and loves his solids but getting him to breast feed is very difficult. We had a difficult start with a Tongue tie and very poor latch which the tt separation only slightly improved. We have used shields since the start and get on ok with them he still can't or won't latch without. He was a keen feeder until 4 months when he started refusing. Now he will only take a feed first thing in the morning, sometimes after naps, and last thing at night. Also only ever one side and has to be in his room nice and quite. Oh but he will happily drink expressed milk from his cup!!! Worried about him getting enough, sick of pumping and the on off is really screwing with my supply. He does however sleep through 7-6
Any suggestions??? smile

MoreBoober Thu 25-Aug-11 19:43:06

Should add that he was born a good 8lb 7oz and up to for months was on the 75th percentile and after that dropped to just above the 50th and has stuck there since

CurlyHairGirl Thu 25-Aug-11 20:11:33

Hi. I've not posted before but been a long-time lurker!!
My DS2 is exactly the same. I didn't have the initial problems you had with the tt etc but from 4 months he became a really fussy feeder. He is now almost 8 months and I'm sure if I didn't offer the boob he wouldn't have any all day - he is loving his solids tho. The only time he really seems to tuck in properly is at night (typical!) tho is usually only once a night now.
I am trying to just go with the flow and assume that as he is still gaining weight (just under 91st centile) and has wet/dirty nappies that all is ok. The babies know best apparently smile

pettyprudence Thu 25-Aug-11 20:19:18

My Ds has become really fussy since hitting 4month mark (he's only 5 months now) and I am finding it really frustrating that he doesn't just roll off in the happy satisfied way he used to sad

MoreBoober Thu 25-Aug-11 20:38:27

I'm a lurker too wink
So do either of you also offer expressed milk or formula during the day if they refuse?
I work 3.5 days a week and I'm sure that on the two days that I work all day he probably gets more milk as he's taking it out the cup. You read lots about how baby's take comfort from breast feeding and it used to be like that now it just makes him grumpy sad

CurlyHairGirl Thu 25-Aug-11 20:59:22

My DS won't entertain a bottle and really just plays with his sippy cup of water at mealtimes.

I offer him boob on waking (7am ish), after morning and afternoon naps (seems more willling to bf if he is sleepy) and before bed. Then he wakes for 1-2 feeds in the night. I'll try for 5mins or so but If he doesn't seem interested I give up and don't offer anything else. I figure, is he is hungry he'll tell me. He just doesn't want to stay still long enough to drink much. He would rather pull my hair, try and wiggle off my lap, watch the cat smile

My DS1 was a very happy bf-er and I fed him until 14 months so this is all a bit new too me. I'm used to the boob being 'the-fixer-of-all-things'. DS2 just seems to prefer solids, which is fine but I just worry that he is still supposed to be having 'x' amount of milk..blah..blah.

kellieb7 Thu 25-Aug-11 21:06:29

I am in the same boat with DD (8 months), she was a complete boob monster for the first 5 months and now I am lucky if she has 3 decent feeds a day despite me offering loads!!!
It is such a shock to the system hmm

sc2987 Thu 25-Aug-11 21:52:44

You could wear him in a sling around the house and when you're out, with your top open, they are more likely to feed if it's readily available. And they're often less distracted when they're close like that (especially if the sling has a sun hood, like on an Ergo).

CurlyHairGirl Fri 26-Aug-11 18:57:14

A sling? You've got to be kidding, he weighs 21lb now!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now