Talk

Advanced search

Continue formula or normal milk - 12 months old

(6 Posts)
DeepDeepFlavours Thu 25-Aug-11 12:53:42

My DS is now 12 months old. I BF for 5 months then moved onto formula when I returned to work. He now has 240ml of Aptamil 3 twice a day (early morning and bedtime). Doctor has suggested we move onto follow-on milk but, looking at the label, it seems to be quite sweet. Should I continue with 6month plus formula or maybe move onto cow's milk? If I move onto cow's milk can I still put it in the bottle as he likes the bottle at bedtime as it seems to act as a cue that it is time for sleep and it would take hours to get him to drink 240ml from a sippy cup. Thanks for any advice!

RitaMorgan Thu 25-Aug-11 12:55:25

I'd just use whole milk. If you give it in a bottle be sure to brush teeth before bed.

TimothyClaypoleLover Thu 25-Aug-11 12:57:18

I put DD onto cow's milk when she turned one and she has a bottle in the morning and one before bed. If your DS is getting a good diet foodwise there is no reason why he should need follow on milk. HV told me that from the age of one babies are not so reliant on milk and get all the nutrients etc from their food.

ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Thu 25-Aug-11 12:58:29

DD started on cows milk a couple of weeks before she was one. The burden of measuring and mixing was lifted in an instant.

DeepDeepFlavours Thu 25-Aug-11 13:05:03

Thanks for the advice - DS seems to be going through a difficult patch with food at the moment. Pretty much only wants to eat cheese, fromage frais and baby biscuits so not sure if he will be getting all his nutrients through food.

Cosmosis Thu 25-Aug-11 16:56:09

If you are worried about nutrients and he doesn’t have that varied a diet I think I would be inclined to stick with the milk you are currently using.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now