loader

Talk

Advanced search

Breastfeeding strike :o(

(7 Posts)
Leilababyno1 Wed 24-Aug-11 23:29:39

Hi there,

I wonder if any ladies can help me?

I have been successfully exclusively breastfeeding my DD for 3 1/5 months. The night before last, my husband and I went away for one night to celebrate our anniversary and my mum looked after our baby. So she had 24 hours of the bottle (expressed milk). Since we got back from our evening away, she has been refusing to breastfeed. She latches on, then starts to fuss, coming on and off, interspersed with crying which leads into screaming!

This afternoon I gave in and topped her up with 3 oz of Formula. She downed this without any complaints. I hate to see my DD hungry, but am very upset at the prospect of having to stop breastfeeding.

In desperation I called the National Breastfeeding helpline. They mentioned that due to my night away and the lack of regular breastfeeds during this time, my milk supply may have slowed? They recommended, that I express 3 hourly for the next 24 hours to increase my supply and feed my DD from a cup in the meantime?!

I have decided to stop all bottles, until my DD is breastfeeding again but hate to see her hungry and upset. Can anyone advise? Thanks.

PrimaBallerina Wed 24-Aug-11 23:44:03

Contact your HV and see if there is a bfing counsellor on the team, there probably is. I haven't been through this but don't want you to go unanswered overnight. I'd be doing what you're doing, keep offering the breast. Good luck.

Pang Wed 24-Aug-11 23:50:42

DH and I did similiar with my DS and we returned to breastfeeding as normal when we got back. However I am sure that my milk production had not slowed because I felt like I was absolutely bursting the whole time I was away (3days).Coming back was a blessed relief for me and DS.

Was the baby given anything other then expressed milk while you were away?
Just thought perhaps DD may have got the taste of formula and liked it.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Good luck.

Leilababyno1 Wed 24-Aug-11 23:51:58

Thank-you. Is there a number I can call this late? Or will I probably need to call the health visitor in the morning?

Leilababyno1 Wed 24-Aug-11 23:56:33

Pang- I introduced one formula feed at 7pm 3 days ago, as a couple of my NCT friends said it helped their babies sleep through. Feeling now like it may have been a fatal mistake?! sad

Leilababyno1 Wed 24-Aug-11 23:58:57

Also, like you I was in agony whilst away from being so full. So, I doubt my supply could have reduced after only one night of being 'full'? I also expressed that morning before we returned home.

Pang Mon 29-Aug-11 16:51:16

Leilababyno1 - How did it go? Is your DD back on the breast?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now