Talk

Advanced search

At what stage did AF waltz back into your life?

(28 Posts)
insertcleverusernamehere Wed 24-Aug-11 22:02:38

From the start, DD had 1 ff at night, and then slept through. She was BF during the day. At 4 months I introduced solids and, with BLW, at 8 months, she eats pretty much everything and for the past two weeks, has had a BF when she wakes in the morning and slurp or two at around 6pm.

I had 1 AF after my pp bleeding stopped, and then bled again when I had a coil put in two weeks later. No AF's since. 4 weeks ago, I had my coil removed for various reasons. Bearing in mind that I'm only BFing one good feed a day, and DD sleeping through the night, should I be worried? BFN when I POAS.

Thoughts?

Cosmosis Thu 25-Aug-11 10:28:09

Co-incidentally, yesterday. DS is 11.5 months. I’ve been expecting it for a few weeks as have been having twinges, and DS has started dropping night feeds, as well has me having stopped expressing twice a day at work – so mostly he only has 2 or sometimes 3 feeds in 24hrs now.

I think your cycle just takes a while to adjust and as you’ve had a coil in as well, I wouldn’t be worried just yet.

carpetlover Thu 25-Aug-11 10:31:19

With my first, not until I stopped ExBF at nearly 7mths but with babies 2 and 3 within 6wks of their births even though they were also ExBF.

I wouldn't worry esp as youve had the coil in. Your cycle will just be finding it's rhythm again.

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 25-Aug-11 12:41:25

Both times it was about 18 months, but was doing the odd night feed.

Like others have said, I wouldn't worry too much as everyone is different. If your instincts are telling you something is wrong I'd go and get it checked out. Otherwise just enjoy not having any.

AngelDog Thu 25-Aug-11 12:43:22

Not yet for me at nearly 20 months. The average is supposed to be 14.5 months, with a range that I've heard of from 2-42 months.

I found the info on Kellymom interesting.

carpetlover Thu 25-Aug-11 13:21:48

I'm stunned to hear the average is 14mths especially when so many woman are pregnant again within the year.

GiraffesHaveMoreFun Thu 25-Aug-11 13:22:47

At 2 or 3 months. I ff though after the first 3 weeks.

AngelDog Thu 25-Aug-11 13:25:59

Ah, sorry, 14.6 months is the average if you practise 'ecological bf' ie keeping baby close to you, feeding on cue (day and night), using bf to comfort your baby, bf'ing lying down for naps & at night, and not using bottles or dummies. Lots of people don't do those things so it's not surprising that their periods return sooner.

The biggest single factors are total time spent feeding per 24 hours, and the frequency of feeds.

AngelDog Thu 25-Aug-11 13:27:22

Apparently the later the return of menstruation, the lower your likelihood of getting ovarian cancer, so there are health benefits as well as convenience benefits of not having periods!

Bumperlicious Thu 25-Aug-11 13:31:09

Interesting reading on kellymom. I've been expecting my periods to return for about 2 months now. My body has felt like I was due on, but nada so far at 11 months. But kellymom says this can be normal.

carpetlover Thu 25-Aug-11 13:37:15

That's interesting. Though not sure how dummies affect when your periods return? confused Unless you're using them to shush baby when they really need feeding. I used a dummy with DS (my 1st) as he was sucking when not hungry so making himself sick. Not with the other two yet it was with him that my periods stayed away the longest.

Yes, for me with DCs 2&3, I was exclusively BF constantly on demand and sling wearing for most of the day yet both times my periods returned within 6wks!

pipoca Thu 25-Aug-11 13:46:46

DD is 14 wks and ebf and i'm on my second period.

naturalbaby Thu 25-Aug-11 13:47:17

with all 3 of my kids it was 3 months as soon as they slept longer than 4hrs overnight. i used dummies with all 3, part time co-slept and fed on demand.

coldcomfortHeart Thu 25-Aug-11 19:11:07

With DS1 it was 15 months, despite a period when he was 8-16 weeks when he slept from 11-6. The rest of the time I bf him non-bloody-stop though!

Robotindisguise Thu 25-Aug-11 19:18:54

16 months later, three months after stopping...

AngelDog Thu 25-Aug-11 20:12:08

I think dummies affect things because they reduce suckling time & frequency, because when a baby is sucking on a dummy, they're not sucking on a breast. The idea behind 'ecologial breastfeeding' is that you offer the breast for sleep / comfort / just because rather than only when the child is properly hungry. Dunno how that applies to sicky babies though I'm afraid, as my DS wasn't like that.

Of course, statistics don't tell you much about any particular individual, and there are plenty of people who feed like that whose periods do return early, as well as others whose periods return much later than the average. It varies between children of the same mother too.

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Thu 25-Aug-11 20:17:43

Both times, 2 months after I wasn't doing a night feed anymore.

verylittlecarrot Thu 25-Aug-11 20:33:15

18 months with dd. Still not back yet with ds at almost 19 months. Have only had 3 or 4 periods since 2006 thanks to pregnancy and breastfeeding!

Gincognito Thu 25-Aug-11 21:11:00

Very interesting stuff on Kellymom - my ds is 10 months and has recently dramatically reduced feeds (enough to give me mastitis and make me have an unexpected leak on the train today hmm).

I've been experiencing period pains and pmt-ish symptoms for the last couple of weeks. I hope it doesn't arrive too soon, though, I haven't ordered my next size up moon cup yet blush.

AngelDog Thu 25-Aug-11 21:17:44

I had that, Gincognito, when DS went on nursing strike at 13 months (dropped from 6 feeds to 3). It stopped again though once the strike was over.

Tamdin Thu 25-Aug-11 21:29:46

Ds2 is nearly 8 months and ebf on demand and for comfort and if he so much as squeaks grin I may be very tired but no AF as yet!

Ilythia Thu 25-Aug-11 21:32:07

Never with DD1, I got pregnant after 11 months on first ovulation. After DD2 i had a coil fitted at 6 weeks and then BF ehr until she was nearly 2. They came back at about 14 months with her.

Paschaelina Thu 25-Aug-11 21:34:47

No sign so far at 11.5 months.

Secondtimelucky Thu 25-Aug-11 21:56:39

9 months, just after DD1 stopped wanting a feed at night (though she was not sleeping through. Yawn).

choceyes Fri 26-Aug-11 16:03:19

With DS it was 8 months. He was eating well and taking less milk.

DD is over 12 months now and no sign of AF. She hardly eats any solids and still has a couple of night feeds, so until she stops that I guess they won't return.
I was positive my AF was comign back at 9 months, as I had all the signs, but was a false alarm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now