Talk

Advanced search

8 mo DS has a cough...

(6 Posts)
Miffster Wed 24-Aug-11 12:45:36

...as do me and DH, DH has been quite poorly, off work, sweating. DS has been sweating pyjamas through at night and guzzling milk all night for the last three nights, but apart from having extra BF is cheerful, active, pooing, eating normally. He has had it since Friday, and was off solids for a couple of days, been drinking lots of milk to make up for it. He was EBF til 6 mo, and is PFB, and has never been ill before, there is not much point taking him to the paediatrician is there, when he seems otherwise well, because there is nothing you can give babies with colds and coughs apart from Calpol, which he had a few doses of, and steam inhalator, which he's had at night?

Just could do with some reassurance really.

Oh, he's also been cutting his first tooth.

Thanks.

Miffster Wed 24-Aug-11 12:46:30

Should say, paediatrician. Is because we don't live in UK. Not because he is PFB and hv/GP not good enough!

organiccarrotcake Wed 24-Aug-11 12:57:00

LOL @ paediatrician explanation grin

In the end only you can make that judgement call, but no, if it's a cold they can't do much.

Some things which may be worth looking at:

- Baby ibuprofen (give at different times to paracetamol) can help keep a persistent temperature down (but use your judgement about getting a persistent temperature checked)
- Saline drops or spray may help loosen dried mucous in the nose and make breathing easier
- If he gets an eye infection (common if they rub snot into their eyes), you could try cleaning with cooled, boiled water with euphrasia in, and then a couple of drops of BM in the eye

It's perfectly normal for them to drop solids and guzzle milk when poorly but be aware that the nappies are likely to go EBF poo-like again for a while!!

Hope you all feel better soon.

Miffster Wed 24-Aug-11 13:31:50

Thanks very much. Well, he's just had a bath with me and seems happy enough apart from having his hair washed. He is pulling at his ear but that could be the tooth? Otherwise is fine. Bf in bath, not done that since he was a NB!

Miffster Wed 24-Aug-11 13:32:24

Cough seems looser but he won't let me take temp any which way. Wriggles.

organiccarrotcake Wed 24-Aug-11 16:41:51

I find the in-ear electronic ones good - but you need to pay for the ones which record in a second, not a few seconds. Having faffed around for years with the forehead strip I finally took the plunge for DS2. Well worth it.

Glad he's seeming better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now