Talk

Advanced search

How to recognise swallowing /milk transfer?

(11 Posts)
AJH2007 Tue 23-Aug-11 20:50:12

Any tips on the above? I looked on Kellymom but couldn't find much. I don't mind DS nursing for 'comfort' but would like to be better able to identify when he is actually feeding (as he likes to stay on the boob for ages sometimes). Thanks in advance!

lilham Tue 23-Aug-11 20:54:53

Try nursing in a quiet room. Observe your LO at the start of the feed, especially after the letdown. You should be able to see her throat moving and hear swallowing noise.

peedieworky Tue 23-Aug-11 21:40:31

Am watching this thread with interest! I had thought (or rather my sister informed me!) that my DS was just "comfort sucking" for most of his feed, so next time when he reached that point I took him off to check and his mouth was full of milk. Now I've decided I don't give a stuff and just enjoy the 20/30 mins with my wee boy (& excuse to be doing naff all for that time!) whether swallowing or just sooking. That said - I would like to know confused

Mollcat Tue 23-Aug-11 21:46:18

There are some videos and info here which might be useful Dr Jack Newman

naturalbaby Tue 23-Aug-11 21:48:11

i think i read something about the ear moving if they are swallowing milk and not just sucking, but have watched my baby loads and can't work it out. he usually throws himself off in very dramatic fashion when finished though.

crikeybadger Tue 23-Aug-11 21:53:41

I think that the feed starts off with lots of quick sucks to get the let down. This is then followed by the slower, longer sucks to draw out the milk. The LLL book describes the sound as a whispered 'keh' (I never heard this tbh) as well as a pause in the jaw motion which indicates a swallow.
At the end of the feed you get the fluttery, light sucks.

There are some good video clips on Dr Jack Newman's site of 'good drinking'.

hth

LadyPeterWimsey Tue 23-Aug-11 21:56:36

I always looked to see if their ears were moving. When that stopped, the feed was more comfort sucking

BettyBum Wed 24-Aug-11 11:53:23

"he usually throws himself off in a very dramatic fashion..."

That is so cute grin my son does exactly the same...

Whyriskit Wed 24-Aug-11 20:05:43

I'd echo that Jack Newman's site is very helpful. And moving ears!

AJH2007 Thu 25-Aug-11 02:47:26

Thanks - will check out Jack Newman.

orchidee Thu 25-Aug-11 12:46:25

Isn't it interesting that some people are so keen to point out that a baby may be "just comfort sucking" as though that were something to be stopped? How about if the baby is in someone's arms "just being cuddled" - should that be stopped too? smile

There's loads of stuff on the web about the benefits of comfort sucking. And why mum cannot possibly be "being used as a dummy". Since a dummy is a replacement for mum! The message being - take your baby off your body, there's plastic stuff in the shops for that type of sucking!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now