Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

EBF baby - ok to to practise bottle with water?

(5 Posts)
nearlytherenow Tue 23-Aug-11 20:19:43

DS2 is EBF but I'd like him to take a bottle of expressed milk (have a couple of things coming up that I need to leave him for, for up to 4 hour stretches) . Is it ok to practise with water? I'd thought about just giving him a couple of ounces of water a couple of times a day to get him used to taking a bottle. I find expressing quite difficult, and will struggle to get enough for the bottles he'll need to have when I'm away from him, without factoring in practise bottles too. He's 4 months.

lilham Tue 23-Aug-11 20:55:54

I

lilham Tue 23-Aug-11 20:58:03

At this age I'd use formula. Water can fill their little stomach up without the needed calories. And even if he drinks water from a bottle, it's no guarantee he'll take milk.

SarahScot Tue 23-Aug-11 21:00:33

Yep, use formula as the water will fill up his tummy. Or you could mix formula and expressed milk so you don;t have to use so much.

thisisyesterday Tue 23-Aug-11 21:04:03

personally i wouldn't, but that was because i wanted to exclusively breastfeed until mine were weaned.

i think like lilham says, taking one thing from a bottle doesn't necessarily mean he'd take another.

in terms of filling him up i don't think water would be a big issue tbh, as long as you weren't giving him huge amounts

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now