Talk

Advanced search

SaInsburys encouraging breast feeding NOT!!!

(32 Posts)
fatbottomgirl Tue 23-Aug-11 14:38:12

Just popped to my local sainsburys (the only supermarket in 15 mile radius) to get some breast pads. Guess what .... They don't stock ANY. Just about 15 different formula milks . Arrrggghhhh. Rant over

sheeplikessleep Tue 23-Aug-11 14:39:34

They stock what sells, unfortunately.
Tis the world we live in.

Secondtimelucky Tue 23-Aug-11 14:40:46

Buy some washable ones, you need never run out again smile.

ShatnersBassoon Tue 23-Aug-11 14:41:47

I wouldn't think to go to a supermarket for breast pads. I'd go to a chemist.

belgo Tue 23-Aug-11 14:43:56

Sainsbury's do usually have a pharmacy section. They sell all other baby products, including nappies, bottles, baby shampoo, baby clothes, so why not breast pads?

sheeplikessleep Tue 23-Aug-11 14:47:49

Because of the low b'feeding rates in this country, that not all of those will want pads and probably of those who do buy, they are likely to buy for only a limited time.

But yes, they should sell them. I'm sure it's down to the sales data though.

But then, I'm sure Tesco sells them, sure I bought from there.

DamselInDisarray Tue 23-Aug-11 14:51:20

My local sainsbury's sells breast pads. They even do own brand ones. Are you sure they weren't just out of stock, or was it a tiny sainsbury's local?

ShatnersBassoon Tue 23-Aug-11 14:54:06

I don't think it's fair to suggest Sainsbury discourages breastfeeding by not stocking breastpads in all of it's stores, or that it has a responsibility to encourage breastfeeding for that matter. It's a retailer confused

DomesticGoddess31 Tue 23-Aug-11 14:58:31

Look on Amazon...cheaper to buy breast pads online anyway and get them delivered to your door in bulk. I got fed up with my local sainsburys being out of stock.

DamselInDisarray Tue 23-Aug-11 14:58:50

I don't think not stocking breast pads in a sainsbury's local is a reflection of the company's stance on breastfeeding, any more than their stubborn refusal to stock a decent selection of anything at all. It's a space issue, that's all.

carpetlover Tue 23-Aug-11 15:00:41

Ive bought some from sainsbury's before. Is it quite a small one without a pharmacy? I agree they stock what sells but it would be no big hassle to stock two boxes of a non-perishable compact item such as breast pads even if they do only need to replace them once a year!

Even though I was an avid BF of all three of mine I do think stocking formula is more essential though and the range is because some babies take to some brands better, I suppose. I have a friend who once cut up some always STs and said they worked just as well.

DamselInDisarray Tue 23-Aug-11 15:01:52

Shelf space is at an absolute premium in small supermarkets.

DamselInDisarray Tue 23-Aug-11 15:02:17

This is why they never have what you're looking for.

Cheria Tue 23-Aug-11 15:03:55

Wow. Over-reaction. Maybe they ran out? Maybe they don't usually stock them in that branch? Maybe they work on the incredible concept of supply and demand?

You can't say that because they didn't have breastpads they are encouraging formula feeding. Paranoid are we? By the way, when I switched to formula I used breast pasd for a couple of weeks. FF women need them too sometimes.

Geez, why turn everything into such an issue.

carpetlover Tue 23-Aug-11 15:04:05

This is why I shop at Waitrose. They always have everything I need. They sell nice cheese and wine and I have never, ever been unable to park in a P&C space. smile

Illegitimate Tue 23-Aug-11 15:08:34

Our sainsburys don't do chorizo. I don't think they are against the Spanish though....

Cheria Tue 23-Aug-11 15:09:29

Illegitimate They must be if you follow OP's logic hmm

fuckityfuckfuckfuck Tue 23-Aug-11 15:11:15

My local one is teeny and stocks about 3 different kinds. I can see it's a pain but they're not discouraging breastfeeding.

vez123 Tue 23-Aug-11 15:23:10

Our local (small) Sainsbury's has about 6 shelves for baby stuff. 5 of them are filled with boxes of formula and only 1 of them with other baby stuff like nappies (usually out of stock of my DS's size), baby meals, nappy cream and cotton wool. As a breastfeeding mom I wish there was more variety especially for food stuff, but I have to say I used to always buy breastfeeding pads from the chemist when I needed them in the early days.
I am trying to see the positive side of it by looking at the price tags of formula and thinking of all the money I have saved by choosing to breastfeed!

GwendolineMaryLacey Tue 23-Aug-11 15:28:15

Our Sainsburys has pads for every bit of you including bruised fanjos and leaky nips and cream to make them all better. There's half an aisle of nappies, about an eighth of an aisle of formula and about half an aisle of food and associated clutter.

You're going to the wrong branch!

FerretMum Tue 23-Aug-11 16:21:13

Yeah, my Sainsbury's sells several different types of breast pads, and it's not a large store by any means... Guess that indicates that they sell more in this neck of the woods!

FerretMum Tue 23-Aug-11 16:22:54

And it sells chorizo! Mmm mmm!

chillikat Tue 23-Aug-11 16:29:35

I found Sainsburys breast pads rubbish anyway. Too flippy floppy and kept getting rolled up.

ComeWhineWithMe Tue 23-Aug-11 16:35:23

Is this just another way of saying "Looooooooooook at meeeeeeeeee, over here, I'm a breastfeeder don't you know?"

There is another thread on here about a supermarket not having any lentils so that's vegetarians and breastfeeders they have a vendetta against today. hmm

Hulababy Tue 23-Aug-11 16:37:39

Sainsburys do normally stock breast pads and even have their own brand of them too as well as brands such as Johnsons.

Maybe they were out of stock?

Did you ask anyone if they had any off the shelves waiting to be put out?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now