Talk

Advanced search

Can I buy ready made SMA cartons in France?

(12 Posts)
MissRedIndie Mon 22-Aug-11 22:04:40

Has anyone found this in the supermarkets or pharmacies at all? Trying to reduce my luggage - DD will only drink ready made, spoilt little girl wink

Greythorne Mon 22-Aug-11 22:10:49

There are ready made brands here but as far as I know, SMA is not available.

hsey Tue 23-Aug-11 00:53:34

No, I don't think so.

BizzeeBee Tue 23-Aug-11 06:53:09

No, I haven't seen any SMA in France either. Another thing is formula is very expensive in France. I was looking on the Boots website because I want to get my DS on UK formula when we go there on our frequent visits and I couldn't believe how cheap it was (along with nappies).

MissRedIndie Tue 23-Aug-11 10:01:00

thanks ladies! Are there any brands of ready made formula which you can buy in both countries (just in case it's worth me introducing a new brand before holiday)? I reckon I could probably bring all the cartons I needed for a 10 day holiday, but am nervous about luggage going missing with all DD's milk! Am I allowed to take a few cartons in hand luggage, or would I have to open and try them all when going through security? Thanks for your help!

Mampig Tue 23-Aug-11 10:20:33

Hi. Not sure about availability- maybe try aptimil??? But I've only ever had to taste it if it's in a bottle. Unopened cartons should be fine.

BizzeeBee Tue 23-Aug-11 13:02:48

I haven't seen the main UK brands in France - I was hoping to use the same in France and UK but it isn't possible with what's in my French supermarket.

shuckleberryfinn Wed 24-Aug-11 10:42:43

You can take enough for the flight on the plane but you can also buy them airside in boots smile you can take a carrier bag each on top of your carry on.

LydiaWickham Wed 24-Aug-11 10:46:53

Aptamil has another brand name in France (can't remember off the top of my head, you can google it, and the packaging looks v similar), but it's not sold in single serving packets, but in ones that are about 2 bottles full - if you have access to a fridge that's fine as they can stay in the fridge opened for 24 hours (just annoying if you're out and about as you basically have to throw out the other half packet).

ButHeNeverDid Wed 24-Aug-11 10:49:57

In the south of france we could buy ready made in any supermarket - but only a French brand. Cant remember what it was called.

And only in 1 litre size packets. So you need to open and store in the fridge. I did dot see those hand 250ml packets anywhere.

We travelled a lot when the DCs were babies and swapped their formula frequently. They never seemed to mind or notice.

organiccarrotcake Wed 24-Aug-11 13:05:19

I've just come back from France and I didn't see any UK brands in the supermarkets I went into I'm afraid (Intermarche). But they will still be the same fundamental ingredients.

You might be best talking to your airline about their rules for taking formula through, just to make sure, and take as much extra in case of emergencies as you can. You never know what delays there may be sad

Enjoy your trip smile

BizzeeBee Wed 24-Aug-11 17:36:54

Aptamil is a Danone product. I use a French Danone formula called Gallia. I think I will try Cow and Gate or Aptamil when I go to the UK. I have never seen my stage 1 Gallia formula in ready made cartons.

Another thing - if you have any room in your suitcase after filling it full of formula, you might like to squeeze in some nappies. They are really expensive here and seem to rarely be on special offer unless you want to buy 96 in one go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now