Talk

Advanced search

Help help helllllp....I so need help!!

(14 Posts)
Mortal Mon 22-Aug-11 20:46:04

who said BF babies don't get constipated?! My 9 month old has taken well to solids, we started him off on the old baby rice business and then didn't know how to progress so we stuck to powdered food for a while until we noticed he just stopped pooing. I then changed his diet, he'll eat anything now as long as its mixed in with a cheese sauce, everything I make him is home made, no salt and mostly organic I always make sure he has broccoli, cauliflower and carrot mixed up with either rice and peas or pasta and some sort of meat, usually chicken - but always always always the veg. Sometimes just the veg and cheese sauce but always more veg. And he just won't poo, when he does (maybe once a week) he'll poo about 2 or 3 times, one after the other always crying as it's passing, usually he'll just hold onto me while he squeezes it out but he's not happy about it at all. He loves water so he's always drinking, I've today resorted to giving him a smoothy just trying to get some poo going. I almost yearn for the days of his jet propelled poo. He will also munch on fruits, he's a very healthy little lad. He doesn't eat breakfast as he usually feeds through the night and before his morning nap - I've tried, he will just not entertain breakfast at all. Why. Is. He. Still. Constipated?!? *sighs hopelessly* sad

runnervt Mon 22-Aug-11 20:49:25

My ds2 was constipated at about the same age. I cut out banana and got some lactulose from the GP - both of which seemed to help. It's horrible when they're struggling!
HTH

Mortal Mon 22-Aug-11 20:52:54

He has lactulous, he doesn't eat banana (actually hates banana) the lactulous works but I can't keep giving him that forever can I? His body needs to learn how to poo normally doesn't it? Hes otherwise a healthy happy baby - his bellys not hard and the only time I ever notice it troubling him is when he's passing it. It's really horrible.

MockingbirdsNotForSale Mon 22-Aug-11 21:10:47

Is his food pureed? I found pureed food gave DD constipation but normal solids did not. I would give him a reboot by not giving him solids for a couple of days and just bfing on demand to help clear him out then slowly introduce food, sticking with fruit and veg first, the introduce other stuff no eggs or liver they are both binding. Also, he might enjoy munching on dried apricot or prunes.

Mortal Mon 22-Aug-11 21:14:22

Yes he likes dried prunes, they don't make him poo though. His poo is serious stuff. I don't really puree his food, it's mashed but it has massive lumps in it, I do also use the water that the veg is steamed in so his food is never really solid. He doesn't have eggs or liver either. Big sigh at no food for a while...poor soul.

runnervt Mon 22-Aug-11 21:19:30

I had different opinions from the GPs I saw re lactulose. the one I respect more said that as there wasn't an active ingredient as such then it was ok to use for a long time. Another one wouldn't even give me another prescription for it! How long has he been taking the Lactulose?

violetwellies Mon 22-Aug-11 21:25:16

My neighbour about 30 years ago called cheese 'bung arse'. I'd try cutting that out first.

thisisyesterday Mon 22-Aug-11 21:26:25

i would reduce the dairy.

lilham Mon 22-Aug-11 21:26:39

Just to say bf babies don't get constipated when they are only on breastmilk wink It's very very easy to digest. Once your on solids it's a completely different story.

Mortal Mon 22-Aug-11 21:29:02

Hes only had the lactulous once, bless him, hes quite a clean boy and was very disturbed at the fact his poo was non-stop. I've heard also that cheese can constipate...I have absolutely NO IDEA what he'd eat if he didn't have cheese sauce.

Mortal Mon 22-Aug-11 21:29:33

Oh crap.

thisisyesterday Mon 22-Aug-11 21:38:03

just offer him a range of finger foods, plus some mashed stuff if you prefer to spoon-feed and he'll eat what he fancies.

try not to get hung up on him eating a certain amount.

i think it would be wise to get him used to eating a range of foods without cheese sauce anyway, otherwise you'll only have the same problem further down the line when it's much more ingrained iyswim?

he may stop eating as much for a while, but he will gradually get used to the taste of different foods and decide which he likes and which he doesn't
he's still small yet!

Mortal Mon 22-Aug-11 21:40:48

Yes, this is true. I do give him the odd sandwich now and then with sandwich meat, he eats whole chunks of fruit too, I try mix and matching!

Mortal Mon 22-Aug-11 21:42:24

I could try goat produce. This will amuse my husband since goat produce, in his culture, makes you stupid.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now