Talk

Advanced search

Alcohol in breastmilk question - should I dump this expressed milk?

(9 Posts)
flippyfloppy Mon 22-Aug-11 16:43:23

Hi there, i was on a hen do on Saturday night and enjoyed a few wines!! I had one large wine at 630, then two small glasses with a meal, then one more large glass about 10pm. I then expressed when I got home at about 11pm, do I need to dump this milk or is it safe for baby to drink?? Thank you!

GalaxyGuzzler Mon 22-Aug-11 16:45:53

I would dump it to be on the safe side.

flippyfloppy Mon 22-Aug-11 16:46:15

By the way DS is 12 weeks old and I expressed 3.5ozs TIA !

WoTmania Mon 22-Aug-11 16:46:56

this might help

flippyfloppy Mon 22-Aug-11 16:48:15

Thanks GG, it didn't feel like I had drank much ( probaly in comparison to others I was with!) but once I've typed it down I realise it's about 6 units at least! Thanks for reply, ahh well... good night though.

flippyfloppy Mon 22-Aug-11 16:51:58

Thank you for link wotmania. Still think I should dump because of the amount of units I drank, ( whoops blush bad mammy!) .

GlaikitFizzog Mon 22-Aug-11 16:54:17

I've had that much wine and not dumped, but it was a good 5-6 hours after my last drink I expressed. Someone on here told me the alcohol stays in you BM as long as it would in your blood. I however had had a heavy night pumped when I got home, but mixed the BM with BM i had pumpefd before going out. A friend also had "boozy" milk clearly labled in her freezer in case of sleepless night emergencies!

Some pedatricians have said that bfing mothers should have a drink as the tiny amount of alcohol in the milk can help to prevent colic too.

I'd say you would probably be ok, but thats for you to decide.

flippyfloppy Mon 22-Aug-11 16:59:57

Hi GF, yes I wish I had waited a few hours until I expressed I hate throwing away milk, what a waste! Alcohol would have still been in my system probably at it's peak. I would be mixing it with another couple of ozs from this morning. Interesting what your friend did!!??

GlaikitFizzog Mon 22-Aug-11 17:06:35

From what I've read the amount of alcohol that gets into your milk is small. You may find you have a slightly sleepy baby after you feed.

FWIW I was on mega painkillers after my CS and at no point did the Drs or MWs say I should dump my milk, but did say DS would be sleepy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now